iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » With Or Without You..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: With Or Without You..
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bono from U2 turned 50 today!

-

I can remember just like it was yesterday listening to U2's The Joshua Tree CD for the first time. Might have been one my first CDs.. awesome set of tunes!

-

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. With Or Without You
4. Bullet The Blue Sky
5. Running To Stand Still
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. In God's Country
8. Trip Through Your Wires
9. One Tree Hill
10. Exit
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y is it that "I Will Follow" is never on any of the best of..i got the U218 The Singles..and it's great! but no I Will Follow..and thats my fav U2 song
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
u2's best of 1980 - 1990 has I WILL FOLLOW. yes it is a great tune.

great band with a slew of hits. and bono definitely has made his mark in music history. [Smile]

thanks for posting val-dude. time to go listen to my favorite u2 tracks!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They never topped 'New Years Day' for me. You can't beat a song about WW2!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cant beleive the news today, why cant i just close my eyes and make it go away?(sunday bl sunday)
The intro to new yrs day still sends shivers up and down me...excellent lyrics, great message and unbeleivable melodies ...they were for me at least magicians of creating nothing out of 4 chords on a synthesizer - cue the edge to round it all off with that gutteral, raw, drowning, wavering something or other. ooooooo yeah.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the build up at the beginning of new year's day is certainly something i cannot describe but only to say it's definitely awesome.

and their song all i want is you, has a great ending. i think it's the strings that does it. from the moment where bono shouts YOUU! I WANT IS.. YOUUUU...it just goes on and on and then slowly fades to the ending. might sound cheesy but i love it dearly.
and i never appreciated the video for that song until i was older.

another tune i love it BAD. bono's voice is such an ocean of feelings. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the ending of ultra violet on achtung baby is awsome and who can forget the lyrics from tryin to throw your arms around the world - a woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle when your tryin to throw your arms around the world, how far ya gonna go before you lose your way back home ...... another great lyrical master piece. And as for ONE . . . did i dissapoint you or put a bad taste in your mouth, you act like youve never had love and you want me to go without...just fantastic ...its going on in the car tomorrow on the way to work now.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

It's a U2 kind of day, been hearing a lot of U2 everywhere I go lately.

With Or Without You has got to be one of the best love songs ever.

Sitting in a quiet place, listening to U2 love or slower songs is bliss. [Smile]

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My all time favorite band. Just saw these guys in concert a couple of weeks ago....the last concert on the tour and the first time they ever came anywhere near the East Coast, Canada....a dream fulfilled...they were amazing. Sunday Bloody Sunday is one of my all time fav songs....I have every CD they've put out. * They played a unique set for the concert as well, playing a couple songs they rarely perform live.....sweet! * I'm not a big fan of crowds, but braved a crowd of 80,000 (with my pregnant wife at that) to see these guys.....and had a great spot fairly close to the stage.....awsome, awsome, awsome.....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always loved U2......my mom has always been a fan and installed it onto me. I used to sit at the record player with Joshua Tree for hours.

A few years ago my mom went to Scotland and saw U2 in Ireland......she came back with a huge cross tattoo on her back and her belly button pierced awwww mom reliving her youth haha

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had "With Or Without You" on 45 record. It is still somewhere at my parent's house. It was really the first time I became aware of U2. Joshua Tree is a timepiece for sure.

I actually heard "With or Without You" while shopping the other day and it was strange...it was like the song resonnated with me for the first time ever. I really listened to the words, now as an adult, as opposed to a child with a 45 on her turntable...hits alot closer to home now.

[ 15. August 2011, 16:36: Message edited by: cindymancini ]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A brilliant, brilliant song, susceptible to much interpretation, be it transcendent or spiritual. My favorite interpretation is that it is a methaphor for the state of things between Ireland and the UK.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
A few years ago my mom went to Scotland and saw U2 in Ireland......she came back with a huge cross tattoo on her back and her belly button pierced awwww mom reliving her youth haha

Awww! Cool Mama haha [Big Grin]

I have to agree with Cindy, being older, you just get it, finally!

xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
They never topped 'New Years Day' for me. You can't beat a song about WW2!

this is my favorite U2 song. i never get tired of listening to it. it makes me feel like a 12 year old again watching the vid of empty-v.

joshua tree isn't my favorite album, but i think i appreciate it more now than i did when it was released. it was a little too popular/commercial for my liking back then.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to dig out my old U2 albums. Some stuff on Unforgettable Fire and October that I am dying to hear. Feel like I have grown up with that band in how frequent there music gets played and all the memories associated with it. Always found it fascinating that the Virgin Prunes which the Edge's brother was in, were childhood friends, yet their music is much weirder and darker than what U2 did.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home