iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Joy Division or New Order (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Joy Division or New Order
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LoverswithCassie:
I played Joy Divison's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" in Ian Curtis' memory on the anniversary of his suicide.

A couple of years ago, I was at Old Trafford for a Reading - ManUtd game and right before the game started they played both 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' and 'True Faith' through the speakers of the full stadium.

What a goosebump moment that was [Cool] .

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow, I just searched the forum to see if there were any topics about Joy Division and here we are...

I Netflixed Control the other day & got around to watching it this weekend. I don't know but it affected me deeply. I had very little knowledge about Ian Curtis and it's sad to admit, I only knew "Love Will Tear Us Apart." That song has always been mysterious to me...very dark, haunting & morbid in tone but yet, I like it.

I knew JD went on to become New Order but after watching this film, I have such a deeper understanding of this band & the heaviness that weighed on Ian Curtis from all angles. I had no idea he suffered from epilepsy. How scary. I am saddened that he was unable to get sufficient mental help back then. He was just thrown a bunch of pills & that was it.

My heart went out to both women he was involved with. They both loved him, for & despite his complexities. I saw his struggle from both sides.

What left me most in awe is the music. I honestly, never heard or sought out any other Joy Division tunes but after watching Control, I've been glued to You Tube & have been somewhat hypnotized by what I've heard & seen. I'm now on a mission to buy some Joy Division music.

Songs that I can't get enough of:

Atmosphere
No Love Lost
Transmission
Isolation

Does anyone recommend a certain disc or compilation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, it is very cool here today...gloomy & rainy...perfect "atmosphere" as I delve into my latest musical obsession.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, one more thing...I was very curious about the daughter Ian left behind, Natalie. I Googled her & found this picture...omg, she is the spitting image of her Dad. I wonder how odd it must be for her to know he was her father but not have any memories...wonder what goes through her head when she sees images of him or video footage...

-

-

[ 04. June 2011, 11:49: Message edited by: cindymancini ]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy.. I actually started a new thread for this a few weeks ago.. but here is a great cd I think might interest you:

Total:  

From Joy Division..  

-

.. to New Order  

-

A  new 18-song compilation covering tracks by Joy Division to New Order — titled 'Total: From Joy Division to New Order'  is set to also include a previously unreleased New Order song called “Hellbent.”

Due out in June , the compilation is the first to combine the Ian Curtis lead Joy Division material with several New Order tracks on the same release.

The new 'Total' disc opens with five of Joy Division’s best known tracks (”Transmission,” “Love Will Tear Us Apart,” “Isolation,” “She’s Lost Control” and “Atmosphere”) before segueing into a chronological run of a dozen New Order singles plus the new song, of which little is known at this point.

Tracklist: 

Total: From Joy Division to New Order

1. Joy Division, “Transmission” 
2. Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” 
3. Joy Division, “Isolation” 
4. Joy Division, “She’s Lost Control” 
5. Joy Division, “Atmosphere” 
6. New Order, “Ceremony”
7. New Order, “Temptation” 
8. New Order, “Blue Monday” 
9. New Order, “Thieves Like Us” 
10. New Order, “The Perfect Kiss” 
11. New Order, “Bizarre Love Triangle” 
12. New Order, “True Faith” 
13. New Order, “Fine Time” 
14. New Order, “World In Motion"
15. New Order, “Regret” 
16. New Order, “Crystal” 
17. New Order, “Krafty” 
18. New Order, “Hellbent” 

Until recently I could easily state that I've always been more of a fan of tunes by New Order over the few choices by Joy Division.  But, I also remember being amazed on a previous thread by how many Rewinders at that time were devoted Joy Division fans.

-

And of course, I've known for a long time that my good pal NowhereGirl was a huge Joy Division fan and intrigued by the backstory behind the tragedy that surrounded Ian Curtis. However, I never quite understood it all until she convinced me to watch the movie "Control".  

Wow... I must say that "Control" is a rather dark, but hauntingly beautiful film!  It gave me such a better understanding of the curiosity so many seem to have about Ian Curtis and his tortured soul.  As well as some insight into why he committed suicide just when Joy Division was about to become incredibly successful.

The performance of Sam Riley as Ian Curtis was just downright amazing.. especially after Ronnie told me that the actors in the movie actually sang and played the tunes for real.  Both Samantha Morton and Alexandra Maria Lara were excellent in very different roles that were focal points of the movie.  My fav scene was when Morton's character questioned Riley in the street and the tune "Love Will Tear Us Apart" starts to play.

Also, the DVD extras included a performance by the real Joy Division which made the movie seem that much more haunting for me to experience.  After watching "Control".. I have a new appreciation for the music of Joy Division and the genius of the darkly troubled Ian Curtis.

Totally realize this new 18-song compilation only has one new tune of interest to most devoted fans.. but I highly recommend it if you are similar to myself and just starting to truly appreciate some of these tunes.

I actually heard New Order's "Temptation" on the radio this morning and it is currently stuck in my mind.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the amazon link:
Total: From Joy Division to New Order

It is an import from the UK due out June 14th, 2011. I've already pre-ordered it.

Does anyone know if I'll have any issues with playback? I've never really purchased an import CD.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy, go buy:

1- substance
2- unknown pleasures
3- closer

in that order. you will not be disappointed.

other songs you need to hear asap:
transmission
http://youtu.be/flVEoNuEYgE

dead souls
http://youtu.be/oTGQc2k9y7s

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a Joy Division obsessive since the 90's and I have tried to collect anything I could on them including bootlegs, picture sleeves etc. We will never know what kind of impact they would have had if they toured North America instead of Ian taking his life. Who knows, Isolation could have been a top 40 hit,

Cindy,

I own the four disc Joy Division box set which has almost everything they ever did, it's a great package if you are that into them. Not just JD/NO, I love the label they were on which was Factory, and there were all kinds of bands in a similar vein like the Wake, Section 25 and Crispy Ambulance. Ian even produced a single for Section 25, and the singer of Crispy Ambulance even filled in for Ian on a night he had an epileptical seizure and couldn't perform.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
Riptide,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into the boxset. I think I saw it on Amazon.

As for Factory, yes, I learned a bit about this label after watching the movie 24 Hour Party People. Have you seen this? It's about how the label came to be in 1976 & it's role in bringing many of Manchester's acts at the time to the world. It was an okay film but I loved Control! I had to buy the DVD!!

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I own 24 hour party people. Not a bad movie but it totally made me appreciate Joy Division.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home