iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Joy Division or New Order (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Joy Division or New Order
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize the origins of New Order was Joy Division, but which do you prefer? I'm a fan of Joy Division, however the tunes of New Order rank up there with some of my favs!

Let's start with Joy Division...

-

English rock band with punk influences...best known for the tunes "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "Transmission". Unfortunately, lead singer Ian Curtis could not escape the demons engulfing his mind and committed suicide in 1980. The success of Joy Division was posthumously it seems developing an almost cult status as the years have progressed. The members of Joy Division made a pact before Curtis's death that if any member left the band the remaining members would change the name of the group.

Thus the emergence of New Order...

-

The remaining members of Joy Division (Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook, and Stephen Morris) form the band New Order and later completed the group by joining forces with Gillian Gilbert. New Order combined post-punk and electric dance to unleash tunes like "Blue Monday" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" which at one time were my fav New Order songs. I have since decided that "Age of Consent" and "Regret" are my most played and beloved New Order tunes.

Anyone enjoy the tune "Let's Dance to the Joy Division" by the Wombats?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while i love both bands, joy division is far and away my favorite of the two.

one of my top four all time favorite bands ever.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I would have to say New Order.

Age of Consent and Love Vigilantes are my favorite of the bunch.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually i´ve never listened Joy Division that much.

Blue Monday was a radio hit here in the 80s and a very familiar tune.
The only New Order cd´s that i have are Technique (1989) and Republic (1993).

I agree that Regret is a wonderful song!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never listened to much Joy Division either. I had their Greatest hits CD awhile back but I think I gave it to someone. The only song by them that stands out in my mind is Love Will Tear us Apart.

Now NEW ORDER - its like Bring on The Hits! Every song is a winner!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dearly love both these groups. Joy Division were very dark and intense and New Order allowed for some of the more euphoric, greatest dance music of it's day. JD only had two albums, but I give them a slight edge over New Order for being the icons they were. Even though he sadly took his life far too soon, Ian Curtis was a brilliant lyricist and intense frontman, where Bernard Summner was more laid back and less a presence.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Pooh
Master Rewinder
Member # 5798

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Princess Pooh   Email Princess Pooh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think New Order brought alot of new fans to the music of Joy Division.
Posts: 156 | From: London | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the early rawness and energy of Joy Division to the more processed, technically adept feel of New Order.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
joy division wrote "dead souls". they win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK7YPVwM2Jo

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of Joy Division and New Order, I would vote for New Order.

I still relish listening to Joy Division.

Ian Curtis was a deeply troubled genius.

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading somewhere that George Michael of all people considers JD's secong album Closer to be his favorite album of all time. Who knew?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Order. I was a club kid through the mid 80's and spent many a night shaking my booty to their great music!!

Never got into Joy Division. For darker music I listened to The Cure, Siouxsie and Bauhaus.

Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I listened to those groups too, as great as they were none more darker and real than JD.
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joy Division reminds of The Gloom Room from "Modern Girls"....great artists, but I'm more of a New Order fan myself.

The tune "Regret" is just awesome!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you seen Control? Awesome movie about Ian Curtis of Joy Divison.....If I have to pick....it would be New Order because like it was said above more of their songs come to mind for me and Joy Divison comes across almost darker? you know what I mean?
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
it was 30 yrs ago today that ian curtis took his own life. too bad he never got to see how influential he would become.
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't choose between these two. I like both bands very much.
Maybe a slight preference for Joy Division.

In 2008 Ian Curtis' tombstone was stolen. Does anyone know if they ever return it?

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Can't choose between these two. I like both bands very much.
Maybe a slight preference for Joy Division.

In 2008 Ian Curtis' tombstone was stolen. Does anyone know if they ever return it?

TKO, they simply replaced it with a new memorial stone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Curtis

Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, thanks loverswithCassie.. I didn't know that.

I still can't believe anyone would do a thing like that.

quote:
Originally posted by xchazx:
joy division wrote "dead souls". they win.

So true!
Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
30 years ago. RIP Ian Curtis. Just amazing what artists like him and Nick Drake become long after they die.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gonna have to be Joy Division for me
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked the song true faith and the clip that went with it...see below, good quality sound really.
bizarre love triangle was a great song too and really gave pet shops boy fans something to talk about as well until Frente released her version of it and then i didnt hear anything from New order until the release of crystal a few yrs later. Its a draw for me...but pet shop boys definately overrun both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1HAkjOuL0

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Have any of you seen Control? Awesome movie about Ian Curtis of Joy Divison.....

i LOVE that movie. i waited and waited for it to come out and was not disappointed. i love the concert scenes and just the story in general. and thought it was awesome that the guy who played ian curtis sang the songs himself.

before i would have said that preferred new order over joy division but now, i would choose JD because i discovered a new appreciation for their music and knowing where all the angst came from. new order's bizarre love triangle is still one of my favorite songs from the 80s but the original recording of ceremony by ian is moving, as most of his music is to me..whereas new order's music is fun, pop, 80s feel. but i love both groups in their own way!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
I played Joy Divison's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" in Ian Curtis' memory on the anniversary of his suicide.

I have seen "Control," too.

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie that is so awesome! I loved it too and it was made so honest and great........music...story...everything!! it too gave me an appreciation for Joy Division in a new way I might have to say what you said in that "I love both groups in their own way" [Big Grin]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home