iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Download 2005 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Download 2005
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wood like veary much to go to this show but i could say this i could do with slipknowt and even if i was to go i probley wood by the ozzfest ticket only like i said thair have bin a lot of complaints on ozzfest message board about bying the three day pass it seems that people only just want to attened ozzfest i cant blam them
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing with Download is that you have to attend the whole thing to get the truly once-in-a-lifetime experience. I went last year when it was a two day festival and although I only really wanted to attend the second day for Metallica, Slayer and Machine Head, if I hand't gone on Day 1 I woulda missed The Hives, Cradle of Filth, Iggy Pop etc and that would have been a travesty.

Anyways, I got my tickets now so I'm deffo gonna be there this year from Wednesday afternoon until Monday morning. Sabbath, Slayer and Slipknot will be my preferred acts so far but with at least 50 more bands to be announced its gonna ****ing rule!!!

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bloody kids! Now that I've bought three non-refundable tickets my daughter has told me she cannot go. Any UK Rewinders wanna buy a ticket??? [Big Grin]

Noms [Cool]

[ 25. February 2005, 01:08: Message edited by: Noms ]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Ok, Megadeth have been announced for Friday and have stated that it will be their last ever UK show. Now all we need is Motley Crue, AC/DC, Judas Priest and Anthrax...

(never gonna happen I know but I can wish can't I?)

Noms [Cool]

ps. Who the **** are Dinosaur Jr that the organisers are so excited about having booked... [Confused]

Cowboy10uk
Master Rewinder
Member # 117

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Cowboy10uk   Email Cowboy10uk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damned if I know, but Megadeath, this show is getting better and better, just hope everyones careful so I don't have to do any work and just sit back and enjoy the music, although I'm pretty sure i'll hear it in the post i'll be working. Although knowing what it was like last year with the pit, I don't think i'm going to have a quiet one. [Big Grin]
Posts: 158 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From allmusic.com

Dinosaur Jr. were largely responsible for returning lead guitar to indie rock and, along with their peers the Pixies, they injected late-'80s alternative rock with monumental levels of pure guitar noise. As the group's career progressed, it turned into a vehicle for J Mascis' songwriting and playing, which had the ultimate result of turning Dinosaur's albums into largely similar affairs. Over time, Mascis shed his hardcore punk roots and revealed himself to be a disciple of Neil Young, crafting simple songs that were delivered at a crushing volume and spiked with shards of feedback. Consequently, Dinosaur Jr.'s '90s albums — when the group was essentially a front for Mascis — don't sound particularly revolutionary, even with their subtle sonic innovations, yet their original '80s records for SST were a different matter. On their early records, Dinosaur lurched forward, taking weird detours into free-form noise and melodic soloing before the songs are brought back into relief by Mascis' laconic whine. Dinosaur's SST records laid the foundation for alternative rock's commercial breakthrough in the early '90s, and while the band's profile was raised substantially in the wake of Nirvana's success, they never really became much bigger than highly respected cult figures.

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Just heard that Anthrax original lineup have reformed and will be playing. Motorhead have also secured a slot...just need Judas Priest and Testament now and I'll be an extremely happy bunny...

Noms

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Check it out so far...

Download 2005

...and there's still loads more to be announced...

Noms [Cool]

Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very surprised to see that Anthrax are back with Joey, considering some of the things they've said about him in recent years! So what happened to John Bush??

And WHY are they lower on the bill than feeble pop t*ssers Him?! [Eek!]

As for the rest of the lineup, it's pretty strong I reckon.......but Bowling For Soup???!! [Eek!]
Comedy videos + big fat bloke does NOT equal good band. Absolute sh1te!!!

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey noms, if you happen to see the USED....think of me when they play I CAUGHT FIRE [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

My tickets came this morning...

Motley, Smayt, Cowboy if you are all still going we definitely need to arrange a get together...anyone else going from these boards should join us!

Noms [Cool]

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to sell my ticket to a friend of a friend. I have to go to CA on business for the whole weekend dammit...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Oh man, some kind of Rewind get together this is turning out to be...oh well, will have to enjoy the mighty Sabbath with out you guys [Smile]

Noms [Cool]

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

As it appears that I am still able to post here I will just tell you all that I got back from the festival late last night having camped there since Wednesday. I will post a review of whio and what I saw later, probably tomorrow...

Noms [Cool]

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

-

Review coming soon...

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kewl pic Noms. Give us a rundown of the show when ya get a chance as believe it or not, not everyone on here considers metal trash as someone so labeled it...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Ok, so I'm gonna spread this review out over the next few days just so I don't post one long post...

WED - FRI: AT THE CAMPSITE

Actually no band reviews for today, just an overall impression of the few days camping. I understand that the whole festival / camping thing isn't really done in the USA but I have to tell you, you have no idea what you're missing.

We pitched up camp by 2pm on the Wednesday afternoon and the whole place was in a party mood from the word go. 45,000 camping tickets had been sold and I would estimate at least half of that turned up on day 1.

Total strangers would get together and help each other out carrying kit from the cars, helping put up tents, sharing out beer etc. Many brought stereos along and were blasting out Slayer, Metallica, etc. One brave soul brought his cdlassic children's TV anthems much to everyone's amusement...

Once out tent was up, me and mini noms hit the camp shops for the obligatory programmes, stage timings, t-shirts etc before sitting down for the outdoor cinema screen. Sitting on the grass drinking a cold beer (coke for mini noms) and watching a movie in the hot sun was an special moment.

Fairground rides kept people amused, especially the Dodgems (Bumber cars, whatever you call them) then it was back to the tent for food. Mini Noms excelled himself cooking macaroni cheese on the camp stove and bacon on the disposable BBQ.

The party went on late into the night as more and more people pitched up with their tents to add to the atmosphere.

With plenty of drinking and not much sleep it was amazing that anyone even managed to get up on Friday for the first day of music...

(part 2 Friday: The Music tomorrow)

Noms [Cool]

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

The only 2 festival/camping events I have ever been to were Woodstock '94 and Coachella in 2004. Sounds good so far Noms...
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Sorry for the delay...

FRIDAY

After a couple of days partying it's time for the music to begin...

Unfortunately, the organisers decided to experiment by making the extra day a more indie / alt rock day with the metal bands playing on the smaller stages in general.

Mini Noms and I decided to skip the first band on the main stage and headed off to see WWE's Chris Jericho's FOZZY on the 2nd stage. Not particularly good from what we could see or hear which was very little because the tent was packed solid.

Over to the main stage then for WEDNESDAY 13. Now I'm not a big fan of the man or his music but fair play to the guy, he managed to get the crowd going and did have a few catchy tunes.

Unfortunately he was followed by some total dross. JJ72 and THE OTHERS were totally out of place on the Donington stage and didn't the crowd let them know it. Whilst JJ72 at least made an effort, I would rate THE OTHERS as the worst band I have ever seen live. It didn't help that they had obviously been drinking before they hit the stage and were too drunk to even care that they couldn't play their instruments...

Make way then on the main stage for the only band the majority of the Download crowd wanted to see on the Friday...MEGADETH!!!

Mustaine and co were playing their last ever UK gig under the Megadeth monicker and they pulled the first decent crowd of the day. Belting out a greatest hits package and not really speaking to the crowd so they could play more music, for 50 minutes MEGADETH ruled the world (well, Donington at least). Everyone knew they should have headlined today and the crowd made sure the organisers knew it.

MEGADETH gave way to DINOSAUR JR. and the crowds rapidly dispersed to the other 2 stages once more. Mini Noms and I took the opportunity to refuel on food and fluids and checked out The Medal of Honour: European Assault tent and the Nintendo DS tent before returning to the main stage for GARBAGE.

Again, not a big fan, but Mini Noms declared himself to have a huge crush on Shirley Manson and enjoyed their music immensely. I just wanted to go see BILLY IDOL headlining the 2nd stage...

...Unfortunately so did most of the rest of the DOWNLOAD community...with FEEDER headlining the main stage to a poor crowd for a headlining band, everyone flocked to the other 2 stages for BILLY IDOL or NAPALM DEATH. Unfortunately with both tents overflowing, I deemed it unsafe to take Mini NOms in to see either act and only managed to listen to about 10 minutes of each set from outside befeore I gave up and headed back to our tent....from what I've heard since, BILLY IDOL was awesome and I'm annoyed I missed him...

So that was Friday...only a smattering of metal on the main stage and some awesom bands on teh smaller stages where not everyone could get to see them...hopefully the organisers will learn from their mistakes next year and not underestimate the crowd...

NOMS [Cool]

coming soon...OZZFEST SATURDAY....

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

I haven't forgotten this thread and will be updating it as soon as I get a decent length of time to continue my review...

Noms [Cool]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home