iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Sam's Metal Shop (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sam's Metal Shop
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brode:
Angry Anderson - Rose Tattoo
King Diamond - Mercyful Fate
Jeff Keith - Tesla
Chester Bennington - Linkin Park
Bon Scott - AC/DC
Joachim Cans - Hammerfall
Serj Tankian - System of a Down
Dave Draiman - Disturbed
James Hetfield - Metallica
Tom Araya - Slayer

very good job. 100%, A+
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary Side
Rewind Curious
Member # 3938

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mary Side   Email Mary Side   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear, you forgot one group.......TWISTED SISTER!!!!!!! We're not gonna take it and I wanna rock are my favourite songs =D
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Duckie........crazy nights is one of my favourite tunes
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the shop once again

This album I consider to be the pinnacle of a band that never got their due. A very underrated and talented band coming from the great state of Florida I bring you Savatage and their metal opus and conceptual album

Streets: A Rock Opera

-

in short Streets tells the story of D.T. Jesus. Savatage on this album at least and what I consider to be their best lineup was Jon Oliva Vocals and Piano, Criss Oliva Guitars, Steve "Dr. Killdrums" Wacholz drums and Tommy Lee Middleton bass.

Streets is definitely not an album of hits nor was it intended to be the album is meant to be played in it's entirety from start to finish.

An unheralded gem that I highly recommend.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWISTED SISTER: STAY HUNGRY
Only I like lesser known songs on there like Captain Howdy, The Price, Burn In Hell and Don't Let Me Down.

SAVATAGE: I'm not a big fan. One or two songs maybe. Thats one of those bands that I never listen to a whole cd in one sitting. A little SAVATAGE goes a long way for me.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good choice Sam - "Streets" is a classy record.
.....and I'm a sucker for concept albums!

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad Jon Oliva died a little while back.
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I believe it was Criss that died. Jon started having vocal problems.

I agree with mamamia that they're probably more an aquired taste and not for everybody. Their music isn't overly hard and loud it just has a different style. I do feel they're one of the more talented bands of their genre but they're still more of an aquired taste.

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes, it was Chris who died, not John.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I love this group and I love this album. Many groups have tried to blend rap and metal to uneven results but these guys finally got the mixture right. This debut album rates as one of my favorites of all time as does the group. Without any further fanfare I bring you.

Linkin Park--Hybrid Theory

-

The metal screaming of Chester Bennington and the rapping of Mike Shinoda along with the samplings of Mr. Hahn makes this one tight album. One Step Closer, Crawling, In The End, Points of Authority and One Step Closer have already become staples of many a radio station.

The band shows no sign of slowing down either as their follow up album Meteora has gone multi-platinum.

Can't wait for their third offering.

***** out of ***** stars

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I love them too...which is odd cuz I hate most new stuff.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Meteora was marginally better than Hybrid Theory. Excellent studio band but man do they suck live...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

How about some German Techno Metal?

Rammstein--Sehnsucht

-

Outstanding tracks:

Sehnsucht
Du Hast
Engel

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the big appeal with Rammstein??? They're music is only average yet they have a huge following.

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I don't think it's average at all. I like their sound a lot. I guess their live shows are pretty cool too.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

I've heard that they miss out on a lot of festivals because it would take all day to set up their live show and they won't perform without all their effects. Whatever happened to "it's all about the music"?

Noms [Cool]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

them crazy germans
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
DU HAST is the only song I know by them. I used to have a cd I liked to work out to (LINKIN PARK, GODSMACK, ROB ZOMBIE, RAMMSTEIN, etc.) and that song was on there. That's a good song...but I don't know if any of their other stuff is good.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

A very underrated band who doesn't get the respect they deserve.

-

The Cult had a unique sound all their own incorporating the pseudo-mysticism and Native American obsessions of the Doors, the guitar-orchestrations of Led Zeppelin, and the three-chord crunch of AC/DC, while adding touches of post-punk goth rock.

Standout tracks She Sells Sanctuary, Fire Woman and Love Removal Machine

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Going to do a double shot today.

Just found out that this album was released 32 years ago today.

Pink Floyd--Dark Side of the Moon

-

what can I say an album that has been on the charts for the better part of 27 years or over 1400 weeks. This album is a true classic. Not really heavy metal but is heavy in a different sense of the word. Can't single out one, two or even three songs as being an outstanding track as this album needs to be played in it's entirety from start to finish. This album put the word master into masterpiece.

Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hain 4:20:
A very underrated band who doesn't get the respect they deserve.

-

The Cult had a unique sound all their own incorporating the pseudo-mysticism and Native American obsessions of the Doors, the guitar-orchestrations of Led Zeppelin, and the three-chord crunch of AC/DC, while adding touches of post-punk goth rock.

Standout tracks She Sells Sanctuary, Fire Woman and Love Removal Machine

Yes! Lil' Devil and Wild Flower are pretty damn good too.
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hain 666:
one can never go wrong with Rush.

You speak the truth. RUSH rules! Great thread by the way. I see you also had Dokken's Tooth and Nail. Also liked Under Lock and Key.
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I don't like RUSH.
(ducks and runs for cover)

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Earlier Rush was awesome I pretty much loved everything they did up through the Moving Pictures Album, after that i thought their career became a little more uneven. But got to love the 2112 album.
wallyum
Master Rewinder
Member # 2746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wallyum   Email wallyum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2112 was where I came in also. I heard it played in an art class in high school. I got in trouble for not getting anything done on that particular day's project, but when I explained to the teacher that I got caught up in the music, she got really excited. She was a lover of art in all it's forms and really got into the idea of introducing people to new forms, so she was all fired up about my discovery of Rush. After that, whenever someone in the class brought in a new piece of music, she'd stop me after class and ask me about my reaction to it. Occasionally I didn't care for something, but as long as I could put into words why I didn't care for it, she was interested to hear why. She wrote me a ton of late slips because we talked music so much. I discovered some great music as a result of that class. Robin Trower, ELO, Neil Young, Bob Seger and Rush were all bands that I heard for the first time in there.
Posts: 160 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home