iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Sam's Metal Shop (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sam's Metal Shop
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today in the shop I'm going to introduce you all to an album that I'm sure nobody else has ever heard but me. It's one of my favorite albums of all time yet nobody has even heard of the band. Going back to 1986 and hailing from the Great White North of Canada came the band SWORD and their great album

Metalized

-

Why this band got no fanfare or recognition is beyond me but one can't go wrong listening to songs like F.T.W., Children of Heaven, Stoned Again, Dare To Spit, Stuck in Rock, Evil Spell there's 10 songs total on this album and I don't feel there's a clanker among them. If you can find a copy of this gem somehow somewhere do yourself a favor and buy that sucker right away. ***** out of *****

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do they play, thrash, death, proto-power? The only old Canadian metal bands I've caught wind of is Anvil and Annihilator, and recently only Eidolon and Devin Townsend's 6 billion projects.

Title reminds me of Dream Evil's sophmore effort Evilized.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an online review of the album HERE

Other Canadian metal bands would be Headpins, Helix, Kick Axe, VoiVod. I used to listen to Anvil quite a bit but i don't think their music aged well; still like a few songs by them.

Need to check out some Annihilator.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annihilator rule. The Fun Palace contains one of the greatest guitar solos ever...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on Sam, Headpins and Helix are Not Metal.

As for Voivod, I'll take Anacrusis myself. If you enjoy Voivod, check out Anacrusis, you can grab their albums off their site.

edit: and you should probably check out Eidolon ... the Brothers Drover are currently playing drums and lead guitar for Dave Mustaine's road version of Megadeth. I have a few tunes off Coma Nation, they aren't bad.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Before the over commercialization of Pyromania and Hysteria Def Leppard was actually a pretty hard rockin' band with a raw edgy sound on their first two albums On Through the Night and

High N Dry

-

With hard rockin numbers like Let it Go, High N Dry(Saturday Night), Switch 625, Lady Strange and Another Hit and Run along with the awesome power ballead Bringin' On The Heart Break make this the first Def Leppard album you should get if you like a more raw sound instead of over produced sugar coated metal.

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I was a monster Def Leppard fan. I loved all of their albums, but this one was pretty awesome.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guido The Killer Pimp
unregistered

8 Updates!

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion the best Def Leppard album
| Site Updates: 8 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

-

Heavy Metal before heavy metal this true classic from the true masters Led Zeppelin released this masterpiece way back in 1971.

This album has mistakenly been called Led Zeppelin IV, ZOFO, Runes, or Symbols for many years and also unofficially dubbed as The Stairway To Heaven Album The true title of the album is simply Led Zeppelin

34 years after its release you still here Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Battle of Evermore, Going to California and of course Stairway To Heaven on a daily basis on classic rock stations. Led Zeppelins music has stood the test of time for over 30 years and I'm sure 30 years from now you will still be hearing their music and it will still sound fresh. This album truly rocks and without this album the heavy metal genre wouldn't have reached the heights that it did. A true groundbreaking album if there ever was one.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Another one of my favorites. For a period of time in the 80's this was my favorite group and this was my favorite album from them the second offering from

Dokken--Tooth and Nail

-

Highlights of this album are Just Got Lucky, Into The Fire, Bullets to Spare and Alone Again The vocals of Don Dokken and the amazing guitar work by George Lynch make this one of the best LA based metal albums of the decade.

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone see Jaymz Hetfield vs Fred Durst in a masters of Metal showdown on Celebrity Deathmatch?

Jaymz would have settled for Dokken over this "Shrimp Biscuit crap!"

Fred Durst's reply...

"uhh what the hell is a Dokken?"

Makes me laugh every time...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I miss these guys their time was way to short.

Definitely one of the best metal bands of the past 15 years only had 3 studio albums + 1 album of cover tunes.

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

-

This was their debut self titled release from 1992. A band known just as much for their political stances as they were for their musical prowess.

Unfortunately they broke up a few years ago because the rest of the band were getting fed up with Zach de la Rochas political extremes. The three members would form Audioslave and giving a listen to their album shows you that de la Rocha was the true talent of the group as Audioslave is pretty bad IMHO. Unfortunately de la Rocha hasn't had much success either on his own. Hopefully someday the 4 will realize that they had a good thing going with RATM and reform the group and kick *** once again.

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
I prefer the first album by miles because the band still played riffs instead of just backing music for Zach's raps. Audioslave doesn't show that Zach was the talent of the band, it just shows that they aren't as creative as they were in their youth. Too bad, because Cornell has one hell of a throat.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Not really heavy metal in the true sense of the word but generally gets lumped in with metal. Definitely hard rock and one of the best albums of all time in my opinion from first to last track. The band started off by calling themselves Mammoth but eventually took the surname the lead guitarist and drummer. The band of course is Van Halen and here is their debut album from 1978

Van Halen

-

From the opening notes of Runnin' With The Devil to the closing notes of On Fire this album is a true masterpiece and shows what a tight cohesive group they were especially for a first album. With the screeches and screams of lead singer David Lee Roth to the musicianship of guitarist Eddie Van Halen drumming of Alex Van Halen and bass of Michael Anthony makes this album worth a spin 26 years after it's release. With songs like the fore mentioned Runnin' With The Devil along with other classics like Eruption, You Really Got Me, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Jamies Cryin' and Ice Cream Man still being played in heavy rotation on classic rock stations to this day. Heavy metal or not one can't deny that this album truly rocks.

***** out of *****

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
Ridiculous rock album. One of the best. Does it seem to me like most of the classic bands had an amazing debut and then slowly dropped off, maybe making another hit 3-4 albums down? Boston, Van Halen, Guns and Roses, AC DC, even the stupid Cars ... their first albums were all megahits.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

(Standing by for huge backlash)

I never really liked Van Halen and thought they were overrated...

Noms [Cool]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

leave my thread now [Big Grin]
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

(dragging feet and mumbling under breath)

...'snot fair. Stupid van halenites...

Noms [Cool]

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooooooops...I was on vacation so I missed a few.
DEF LEPPARD: HIGH & DRY: their best album
DOKKEN: TOOTH & NAIL: their best album
VAN HALEN 1: their best album
And yes, VAN HALEN is great...or at least they were when David Lee Roth was around.

As for LED ZEPPELIN 4...I have to think about it. They have so many good ones its hard to pick just one.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Todays album is what transported a group from a curious phenomena into worldwide superstars of epical proportins. With their first three albums not making much of a dent on the billboard charts, but their stageshows being touted by word-of-mouth as being a show you don't want to miss. With that the group decided to give the fans what they wanted and to promote their strong point the 4 man band from NYC unleashed onto the masses

KISS ALIVE!

-

for the next 3-5 years the group truly were the hottest band in the world as their images and likeness were everywhere and on just about anything. Never a band known for hit singles or never praised for strong songwriting the band took their gimmick and made it a multi-million dollar enterprise. Even if you're not a fan of the band I recommend to all to go see them in concert just once, it is truly a spectacle that needs to be seen to be appreciated.

Rock N Roll all Night and party every day

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

I was wondering how long it would be before KISS got a mention...

You know that post I made about Van Halen being overrated. Repeat here, multiply by 1000 and apply to KISS. Seriously, they were a gimmick band that played music that didn't match the gimmick. Without the masks and the pyrotechnics they were a below average band with no real stand out tracks...

Noms [Cool]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Doing something different today. It's pop quiz time. In group A I'm going to list ten lead singers and in group B I'm going to list ten metal bands. Object is to match the singer with the band. Some should be slam-dunks, some should be easy for the metalheads and some I hope are a little more difficult.

Group A:

1. Angry Anderson
2. King Diamond
3. Jeff Keith
4. Chester Bennington
5. Bon Scott
6. Joacim Cans
7. Serj Tankian
8. Dave Draiman
9. James Hetfield
10. Tom Araya

Group B:

A. Hammerfall
B. Linkin Park
C. Slayer
D. Mercyful Fate
E. Tesla
F. Rose Tattoo
G. System Of A Down
H. AC/DC
I. Metallica
J. Disturbed

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
Angry Anderson - Rose Tattoo
King Diamond - Mercyful Fate
Jeff Keith - Tesla
Chester Bennington - Linkin Park
Bon Scott - AC/DC
Joachim Cans - Hammerfall
Serj Tankian - System of a Down
Dave Draiman - Disturbed
James Hetfield - Metallica
Tom Araya - Slayer

I listen to alot of European metal, so Joachim Cans I knew immediately.

Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noms, The Anti-Goof:
I was wondering how long it would be before KISS got a mention...

You know that post I made about Van Halen being overrated. Repeat here, multiply by 1000 and apply to KISS. Seriously, they were a gimmick band that played music that didn't match the gimmick. Without the masks and the pyrotechnics they were a below average band with no real stand out tracks...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry - I forgot to add my reply.......

which was.....

Noms - I believe you are talking b*llox!

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home