iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Sam's Metal Shop (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sam's Metal Shop
HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Les CLaypool, by a rather wide margin. Flea is a great rock bassist, but Les is one of those guys that redefines the bass guitar with what he's capable of doing with it.

Motleys Shout At The Devil,I think, is their best all around Metal record. I never liked Too Fast for love. By the time Theatre of Pain came out I wasn't liking their sound. Hello Metallica, Slayer, and the odd "hit" from a hairband that had a good lick or riff....Ratt's Round & Round, etc.

But I have to admit in the late 70's it all started when I discovered Judas Priest. I learned early on that a rythim guitarist made all the difference in the world [Smile]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the reason why Motley is getting more respect is because we are comparing them to what's out now. I'll take Dr. Feelgood over How You Remind Me seven days a week.

As for Les and Flea, both are talented players who lead their bands with their tuneful and flagrantly showy basslines... but at the end of the day, I prefer Geddy Freaking Lee.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one can never go wrong with Rush.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Flea, unique and loud gets my vote.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheriff J.W. Pepper
unregistered

8 Updates!

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough choice and i have seen both of them live i will have to go with Les Claypool of Primus
| Site Updates: 8 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite Iron Maiden would have to be this classic.

The Number of the Beast

-

Murrays guitars, ****insons vocals; classic tracks like The Number of the Beast, Run To The Hills, The Prisoner, Hallowed Be Thy Name make this a true metal classic must have for your collections and proves why Iron Maiden were the fore runners of the NWOBHM.

Great great album. Still sounds great 20+ years after it's release.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number of the Beast is definitely the best Maiden album ever released and to hear any song off this album live is awesome.

I prefer Smith's guitars to Murray's but that's for another day...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

My favorite Queensryche album

Rage For Order

-

Most people would go with either the concept album Operation Mindcrime or the more commercially listenable Empire this is the one that stands out the most for me. Songs like Neue Regale, Walk In The Shadows, Going To Get Close To You, (We Are Rebellion)Chemical Youth showcases the Seattle band at their best in my opinion. Geoff Tate has the absolute best singing voice in heavy metal.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

-

Enough said

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
[Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually like HIGHWAY TO HELL better than BACK IN BLACK but its a close race. I think HIGHWAY TO HELL has personal reasons attached to it...I just remember a happy period in my teen years where that was the tape in the tape deck during all the cool partys and make-out sessions.
BACK IN BLACK is a classic though. Its hard to find a bar jukebox that doesnt have BACK IN BLACK in it. Even HONKY TONK bars have it! HAhaha!

I'll agree with Number Of The Beast being the best IRON MAIDEN album.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Highway to Hell is awesome and has a soft spot in my heart because it was the swansong of Bon Scott. As a whole I like the Bon Scott era more than the Brian Johnson era.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I'm sure there's a lot of us that owns this one

-

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I've actually found this forum, I have to say, Queensryche rules all. When you mix Iron Maiden, Rush, and the greatest vocalist ever, it has to rule.
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

there you are dude, was wondering where you went.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

I deliberately avoided Appetite for a long time in a form of heavy metal snobbery.

You see I was a die hard metal fan who despised all other music and fans of all other music. When Appetite came out, the amount of non-metal fans that I used to see at college with the album, t-shirt etc made me wonder what the hell was going on. People who wouldn't dream of listening to Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC etc were jumping to this new fad that would fade for them as quickly as it appeared and so I waited and when Use Your Illusion came out and the trend followers had moved on to the latest pop crap, that is when I decided to have a listen. Good album, bad story...

Noms [Cool]

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

Brode,

Get your *** over to the rewind social club also for Noms' Metal Mayhem...

(self publicity is no bad thing okay!)

Noms [Cool]

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite GUNS N ROESES album. In fact, nothing they did before or after it was up to the bench mark of APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION as far as I'm concerned.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

If they would have combined the best songs off the Use Your Illusions then that would have been their benchmark. As it turned out you had two really good albums with a few clankers on both.
Guido The Killer Pimp
unregistered

I missed the AC/DC conversation all great albums but how about AC/DC
Blow Up Your Video.....Arguably the most sexist band to hit the stage, they rocked because they never once apologized for singing about covering whorish women in oil, or forcing them to perform oral, even when Angus Young reached middle age. This album featured the chestnut lyric "Gimme head, gimme tail" and one of the most memorable opening riffs in metal history ("That's the Way I Want My Rock & Roll"). I never did understand what the album title meant, but AC/DC never wrote a song that couldn't be understood by your average fifth grader, so I'm certain it's nothing clever.
[Big Grin]

| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guido The Killer Pimp
unregistered

Favorite GUNS N ROESES album. In fact, nothing they did before or after it was up to the bench mark of APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION as far as I'm concerned.
quote:

I could not agree more!!!!
| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Now this is one album that rocks. More of an industrial sound but I like it a lot.

Ministry--"Psalm 69"

-

NWO, Jesus Built My Hot Rod, Scarecrow, TV II are some of the highlights off this album, but I like them all. A true masterpiece of its kind.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Guess no Ministry fans here, oh well

Todays entry was one of the grandfathers of the genre a true classic if there ever was one. Going way back to 1971 I give you

Black Sabbath--Paranoid

-

With classics like War Pigs, Paranoid, Iron Man, Electric Funeral and Fairies Wear Boots make this album by Ozzy, Geezer, Tony and Bill a must have for your collections. If this one isn't already in your collection there is a void that needs to be filled.

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

All must bow down and pay respect...NOW!!!

"People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time"

Noms [Cool]

Guido The Killer Pimp
unregistered

4 Updates!

Words can not describe the impact of this album!!!
| Site Updates: 4 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home