iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Top 3: Blue Öyster Cult

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top 3: Blue Öyster Cult
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Astronomy

Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Shooting Shark

Honourable Mention:

Black Blade, Mirrors, Burnin' For You, Fire of Unknown Origin, Nosferatu, Reaper & Godzilla.

One of the greatest bands of all-time.

[ 11. January 2009, 08:29: Message edited by: J2ME ]

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Astronomy
Godzilla
Don't Fear the Reaper

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't fear the reaper, burning for you, godzilla these guys still rock i saw them 2 years ago at the fair here for free and they rocked!!! dee
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Don't Fear the Reaper
2. Burning For You
3. Astronomy

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Godzilla
Don't fear the Reaper
Burning for you

I really have to get more songs and albums by them. Didn't they get called thinking man's metal?

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that's what they called themselves
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooting Shark
E.T.I
Take Me Away
Veteran Of The Psychic Wars
(Don't Fear) The Reaper
Perfect Water
Astronomy
Flaming Telepaths
Fallen Angel

etc etc etc....

Sorry, but you can't restrict me to 3 - it's the BOC!!!!!!!!
I worship this band [Big Grin]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Godzilla
Black Blade
Joan Crawford

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't fear the Reaper
Don't fear the Reaper
Don't fear the Reaper

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I ever mention that I met them and had my picture taken with them??? [Smile] and yes Duckie adores them so much he has a B.O.C tattoo....that's dedication.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh i love "Burnin´ For You", cool video too!

Burnin' For You - Blue Oyster Cult

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burnin' for you is my favourite [Smile]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Don't Fear The Reaper', however I always felt it needed 'some more cowbell.'

'No, I don't have any Blue Oyster Cult!'

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
you gotta have more cowbell!
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont fear the reaper and burning for you are the only two i know that i like real well
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I was just writing about The Stand. I love Don't Fear the Reaper in the intro.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it did fit the intro really well.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a 'useless information' book that says BOC was first known as Soft White Underbelly. They wanted a new identity after getting a bad review. The name Blue Oyster Cult came from a poem their manager wrote about a collection of aliens who gathered to guide Earth's history.

Someone put their symbol on a concrete wall at a grammer school I went to in the late 70's. I didn't know what it was, but thought it was quite mystical.

I'm living for giving the devil his due.

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
Before that they were the Stalk Forrest Group.

I'm burnin, I'm burnin, I'm burnin for you.

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not overly familiar with Blue Öyster Cult's body of work.. only have the '75 live album On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
and of course Agents Of Fortune (obviously). Some online searching recently sparked my interest, especially regarding
their albums from the early 70s., and then i found out there's a massive 17-disc box-set released some years ago, which
currently can be found for a real nice price for such a huge collection. I'm intrigued, and this thread came in very useful.

Really love Then Came The Last Days Of May from their self-titled debut album, but i have a feeling there's so much more
to discover..

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m not very familiar with a lot of their works either. I like all of the above names songs. I’d say Veterans of Psychic Wars is one of their best. That box set sounds great. I’m going to look it up!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BOC is a great band. I´ve listened their 70s albums but there´s still lots of stuff i know nothing about.

Check out also The Symbol Remains which came out last year, wonderful music and one of the best comeback albums ever!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Eventually, i did end up buying the 17-disc Columbia Albums box-set.. so all of a sudden i now own 11 remastered studio albums,
3 live albums, 2 discs with additional content (mostly live recordings, but some rarities and demo's as well), and 1 dvd. [Cool]

I can imagine songs like Godzilla, Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll, and of course Don't Fear The Reaper are real crowd-pleasers
during their shows, but Astronomy (preferably live) and especially Then Came The Last Days Of May are the true highlights within
their body of work, in my opinion.. and i also seem to have soft spots for 7 Screaming Diz Busters and Dominance & Submission.

Great box-set, glad i decided to grab a copy while it's still available, as it was already released in 2013.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home