iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Top Ten 80's Songs of All Time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top Ten 80's Songs of All Time
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...you're gonna be placed on an island for the rest of your life. You can take one CD with ten songs on it from the 80's.....all the other 80's songs, you will never hear again...watcha gonna put on it?

1. Sweet Dreams - The Eurythmics
2. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
3. When Doves Cry - Prince
4. I Want A New Drug - Huey Lewis and the News
5. Jump - Van Halen
6. White Wedding - Billy Idol
7. It Doesn't Really Matter - Platinum Blonde
8. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
9. Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar
10. Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Smiths- i know it's over
The Cure- jumping someone else's train
Joy Division- dead souls
Bauhaus- dark entries
The Mission UK- deliverance
Killing Joke- love like blood
Kate Bush- the man with the child in his eyes
Dead Kennedys- halloween
Carnivore- ground zero brooklyn
Wall of Voodoo- mexican radio

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lord this a daunting task! Great picks thuis farm. Xchazx, not familiar with Carnivore, is it hardcore or metal? Actually the name rings a bell, is that Pete Steele's first band? Didn't he write the lyrics for an Agnostic Front album?

OK...here goes.

Crowded House-Don't dream it's over
Smiths-There is a light that never goes out
Joy Division-Love will tear us apart
Cocteau Twins-Lorelei
Siouxsie and the Banshees-Fireworks
Nick Kershaw-Wouldn't it be good
U2-New Year's day
Echo and the Bunnymen-Killing Moon
Psychedelic Furs-Love my way
Cure-A Forest

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
My lord this a daunting task! Great picks thuis farm. Xchazx, not familiar with Carnivore, is it hardcore or metal? Actually the name rings a bell, is that Pete Steele's first band? Didn't he write the lyrics for an Agnostic Front album?

OK...here goes.

Crowded House-Don't dream it's over
Smiths-There is a light that never goes out
Joy Division-Love will tear us apart
Cocteau Twins-Lorelei
Siouxsie and the Banshees-Fireworks
Nick Kershaw-Wouldn't it be good
U2-New Year's day
Echo and the Bunnymen-Killing Moon
Psychedelic Furs-Love my way
Cure-A Forest

Carnivore is indeed pete steele's first band. they are thrash gods. this list was hard as hell to make but i thought my list needed some metal. if thrash is your thing, please run out and get the album Retaliation. it is a thrash metal masterpiece.

and i believe pete steele wrote a lot of, if not all of, the songs off of Agnostic Front's album Cause For Alarm, which is a very metal influenced album. check that out too if you haven't already.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is just pure INSANITY! [Eek!]
At least it's only 80's songs. That helps narrow it down a little anyway.

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Danger Danger - Under the Gun
Dokken - Mr. Scary
Firehouse - Reach for the Sky
Iron Maiden - Wasted Years
Real Life - Send Me an Angel
Foreigner - Say You Will
Cheap Trick - The Flame
Pat Benatar - Shadows of the Night
Asia - Only Time Will Tell

Thanks....you owe me 45 minutes of my life back. [Wink]
And I'm still not 100% sure. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA HA...SORRY 80'sRocked...this may be one that people think about for days before responding...or not respond at all. I'm hoping to write down everybody's favorites and check out the ones I've never heard of. I'm embarrassed by how mainstream my list is...but these are the songs that I loved as a kid. My current interests are more reflective of British invasion stuff.....U2, The Smiths, The Cure, Joy Division, etc.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just joking around Kev. If I could do this then everyone else can. Will take time though. Most will be surprised I don't have more metal on there. I need a good mix of everything if I'm going to "The Island". [Smile]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Plimsouls--Million Miles Away
Joy Division--Love Will Tear Us Apart
U2--Where the Streets Have No Name
Slayer--Raining Blood
AC/DC--Hells Bells
Modern English--Melt With You
Metallica--Sanitarium
Iron Maiden--2 Minutes to Midnight
Motley Crue--Livewire
Prince--I Wanna Be Your Lover

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Man, not even close to easy.

I'm going to say that picking these would be near impossible for me. My top 25 most played songs are all 80's songs on my Ipod. So I will say that I would probably pick an odd variety, so I will say the next thread should probably be the CD that you would make for the island which holds about 18 songs. But I'll play fair now. After all who makes a mix CD or a mix tape that isn't completed.

1) Better luck next time - Oingo Boingo
2) Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy - Devo
3) Don't Lose my Number - Phil Collins
4) Coming Home - Cinderella
5) Affair of the Heart - Rick Springfield
6) Cities - Talking Heads
7) Out of Touch - Hall and Oates
8) Eaten by the Monster of Love - Sparks
9) Whistle Down the Wind - Nick Heyward
10) Night of the Living Baseheads - Public Enemy

yeah, for 10, that will do.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.)Stone in Love-Journey
2.)If Anyone Falls-Stevie Nicks
3.)Time For Me to Fly-Reo Speedwagon
4.)Your my Love-Aldo Nova
5.)Did it in a Minute-Hall and Oates
6.)Take Me Home Tonight-Eddie Money
7.)Someday-Glass Tiger
8.)Oh No-The Commodores
9.)Guilty-Barry Gibb and Barbara Streisand
10.) Boulevard-Jackson Browne

My top 10 always changes ...depending on my mood...so this was really hard...but these were the songs that popped in to my head tonight.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Shakin'-Eddie Money
2. Harden My Heart-Quarterflash
3. We Got The Beat-Go Go's
4. Your Love-Outfield
5. In The Air Tonight-Phil Collins
6. Stand Back-Stevie Nicks
7. Wildside-Motley Crue
8. I Confess-English Beat
9. Don't Stop Believing-Journey
10. Maneater-Hall & Oates

This is what came through in my mind....there are so many! Dear God...are you trying to make all our heads explode?!!?!?!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hopefully we all go to the same island. Then we can exchange from time to time. There are some great songs on all these lists.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Raining Blood-Slayer
2. The Trooper-Iron Maiden
3. Home Sweet Home-Motley Crue
4. Invisible Sun-The Police
5. Master of Puppets-Metallica
6. Where Is My Mind-The Pixies
7. Dissident-Pearl Jam
8. Into the Fire-Dokken
9. Back in Black-AC/DC
10. Personal Jesus-Depeche Mode

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
"This is what came through in my mind....there are so many! Dear God...are you trying to make all our heads explode?!!?!?! "

Sorry....I'm always busy chasing after my two year old son, and don't get much time to "Rewind" [Big Grin] . I figured this would slow all you guys down, stop you from creating new topics...gimmie a chance to catch up!

jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My head hurts... [Frown]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BringBackTheEighties
Rewind Curious
Member # 7411

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for BringBackTheEighties   Author's Homepage   Email BringBackTheEighties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok heres go nothing - mainstream or not these songs get alot of thrashing from me [Smile]

1: No Promises - Icehouse
2: The Unforgettable Fire - U2
3: Song To The Siren - This Mortal Coil
4: I'm On Fire - Bruce Springsteen
5: Let's Dance - David Bowie
6: Animal - Def Leppard
7: Is This Love - Whitesnake
8: Cloudburst Flight - Tangerine Dream
9: Save A Prayer - Duran Duran
10: Africa - Toto

Posts: 7 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Sep 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are just ten of my favorite '80's songs, but there are a lot more favorites I have that won't fit on this list. These are in no particular order:

1) Dancing with Myself - Billy Idol

2) Mr. Brownstone - Guns n' Roses

3) Mama - Genesis

4) Mercy Street - Peter Gabriel

5) In your Eyes - Peter Gabriel

6) Kickstart my Heart - Motley Crue

7) Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order

8) Take on Me - A-ha

9) The Killing Moon - Echo & The Bunnymen

10) Cities in Dust - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home