iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Song of the Day--Everytime You go Away

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Song of the Day--Everytime You go Away
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This song is just so sad, really I mean think about it. Paul Young's only popular song that I can think of. You take a piece of me with you.......... that is all that I have to say about this one.

Do you all have any feelings or important memories about this song?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer Hall & Oates' original version of the song, which came out in 1980.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my cousin and her pretty friends used to sing it to me when they babysat me. Lucky me!
Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I danced to this for my father and daughter dance at my wedding. (The Paul Young version).
Paul Young was pretty cool. Other songs he did were IM GONNA TEAR YOUR PLAYHOUSE DOWN, STAY FOR GOOD THIS TIME and OH GIRL (I'D BE IN TROUBLE IF YOU LEFT ME NOW)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RonaldMcdonaldMiller
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3657

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for RonaldMcdonaldMiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everytime I hear this song I think of one of my favorite movies ever - Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Posts: 27 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess your bringing up these sad love songs....what are you doin? lol i'm joking...I always loved this song! It's a flashbacker for me too.....reminds me of summers at the pool playing at the park...ahhhh. Not sure if I had that many romances to relate it to then though...lol. [Big Grin]

but I just may have to listen to this one today now thanks Jess!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Are you sure Hall and Oates sang the original? I have most of their stuff. I just want to give it a check.

Yeah, it was, I checked. Good call.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I truly hope I dont offend too many people when I say that this song blows. I look at this along with 'Hello' by Lionel and just hate the sappy ballads. I know that there are some timeless ones out there, but Paul Young didnt sing any of them.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It reminds me back to when me and my cousin hung out all the time together, she really loved this song, and liked Paul Young too, it was never one of my favorites. But, when I hear it, I definately go back to being 15 years old, and hanging out with friends, and watching Friday Night Videos, and staying over night at my cousin's house, and getting pizza, and "goofing" off. Cruising town,or walking around town,and just being a kid.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My god, this is one 80's song that stands out where I slowdanced with a girl in grade 7! Still seems like yesterday, really vivid memory of the girl, the school gym and all.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi jessie i love this song actually it is my hubby and i's song long story short we started dating in 1984 not even a year later he had gotten laid off from work and heard about a job in n. carolina so he moved there and came home on weekends to see me and this song was playing alot at that time especially in the jukebox at the club we use to go to on friday nights so everytime i hear it i just smile now it brings back alot of good memories for us! dee
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best known Paul Young Song was "Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home)"

Well - Solo, it was. When he fronted The Q-Tips, I always prefered "Toast"

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm sure, he's a different Paul Young from the late lead singer of Mike and the Mechanics, am I right?

Either way, yes, this is his best song, and yes, it fits perfectly--even by yet another cover artist--with Del's parting smile as he realizes how much good he's done the Pages by making sure they're all together for Thanksgiving. Only his cover of "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted?" comes close to this for me in Young's reportoire.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home