iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Question For Karate Contest Official

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question For Karate Contest Official
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To start, I make no claim to knowledge of scoring for a karate contest, but something has puzzled me for years. I want to first acknowledge that I love the movie "The Karate Kid" and the ending while telegraphed makes me cheer everytime.

However, while watching the last match between Johnny & Daniel and listening to Ali with an i's explanation of the rules....is it possible that Johnny actually should have won the match before the famous Crane technique?

Please rewatch the ending and see if Johnny didn't somehow get cheated out of a point. I'm not totally sure of this fact, but it came to my mind while watching it, so I thought I might ask if anyone else had this strange feeling too?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerpsFan23
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3630

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for TerpsFan23   Email TerpsFan23   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know but i noticed the same thing when Daniel got punched in the face they didn't count it as a point.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverado
Master Rewinder
Member # 1388

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Silverado   Email Silverado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you Kidding?

Johny should´ve been disqualified for that punch to the face,remember when Danny tells Silver that he could be disqualified if he punches someone in the face.And he said is not your fault, he puts himself in your way, he can´t continue, that means you win!!(maybe in a movie but not in a karate real tournament)

Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerpsFan23
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3630

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for TerpsFan23   Email TerpsFan23   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True...I thought that there were too many match stops prior to the crane climax.....They were tied at 2 points for about three or four stoppages.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wot kinda idiot dresses as a shower
Rewind Curious
Member # 3649

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wot kinda idiot dresses as a shower   Email wot kinda idiot dresses as a shower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok being a black belt myself I feel I can answer your questions. Basically in Karate there are 2 types of contest, full contact and non contact, its obvious that in KK it was full contact as shots to the face were counted as points. As far as punching goes yes you are allowed to strike the face if it is part of an attack combo, obviously if you straight out punch someone in the face with the intent of harm and damage you will get a warning, if you opponant is injured you must turn round and get on your knees untill your opponant is up and ready to continue, then if you do it again you get a DQ. Basically there were so many stoppages because it was an under 18 contest and the officials are instructed to stop a fight if it is seen to become too violent, in an adult contest it would be allowed to continue, hope this helps
Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home