iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Favourite Move?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favourite Move?
EvanB
Rewind Curious
Member # 2524

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for EvanB   Email EvanB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this has been talked about before but I'll ask anyway. What's everyone's favourite karate move from the KK movies? As we all know in each of the Karate Kid movies Mr. Miyagi teaches Daniel a special move early on but Daniel never quite gets it until the end in the final fight. Just when it looks like he's been beaten (spelling?) he finally understands the move and wins the fight. The three moves of course are: The Crane Technic, The Drum Technic, and Kata. I think all three are great for each of their own reasons. The Crane is the most iconic move image wise. The Drum technic is an awsome move. But I think Kata at the end of KKIII is where Daniel really gives a perfect display of Karate. What is everyone else's favourite move? [Smile] And also we can't forget another smaller move to add to the list. I guess we could call it, as Mr. Miyagi did, the "primary target" move from KKII.
Posts: 6 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverado
Master Rewinder
Member # 1388

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Silverado   Email Silverado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the side kick Danny uses in the all valley tournament against his first oponent.

Curiously, he does it one more time,this ocassion against the evil Dutch!!

Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the move in part 1 where Danny drops to the floor and takes out the legs of Johnny before giving him a tap on the back, thus giving his opponent a bloody nose...Class! He stole this move off Mr Miyagi when he is showing off his footwork during a punching lesson and Mr Miyagi gets a tad annoyed.
Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clinty mc fly
Master Rewinder
Member # 2946

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for clinty mc fly   Email clinty mc fly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the 1st kk daniel 1st fight the guy does a spinin bak kick on which daniel just steps 2 one side and gives him a chop smooth. also in kk2 where he has his money nick off him and the guy drops the wallet and daniel give him a punch between the legs class. [Karate Kid]
Posts: 107 | From: Lincoln,uk | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brown
Master Rewinder
Member # 89

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
man, I just love the Kata sequence in KKIII

I even prefer it over the crane kick

Posts: 296 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claude Willis
Master Rewinder
Member # 2489

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Claude Willis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fave single move would have to be the crane I guess, just because it IS so well known and integral to the success, and fame of KK. My fave fight scene/moves were everything Mr. Miyagi did in the Cobra dojo against Kreese, and Silver. Especially Kreese. That scene is SO awesome. It's my fave fight scene in all of KK, and it just might be may ALL TIME fave fight scene. I know most of it is probably Fumio Demura, but It works well, and Kicks SO MUCH A-S-S!!!! [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid] [Karate Kid]
Posts: 180 | From: Marathon, NY | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CobraKaiNeverDies
Rewind Curious
Member # 2075

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CobraKaiNeverDies   Email CobraKaiNeverDies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im sorry to differ ppl, but watch the tournament again in KK1.....ive watched it 5 times in a row after a night out the other week, there are plenty more amazing moves than Daniel's. Not to say that the Crane isn't amazing- of course it's 1 of the most well known images in the world....but all i have to say is, watch out for these moves which are my fav:

1. Johnny Lawrence - The final, vs Daniel, 2-0 to Daniel, after Kreese tells Johnny to sweep the leg. Johnny returns. watch this move - he sweeps Daniel's leg, and then uses his other leg to kick him right in the face on the way down. Looks so sore and so effective. 2-1 La Russo.

2. Johnny again - after You're The Best starts, you see Bobby fighting....then Johnny fighting his 1st match. watch the move. the guy goes to punch him, he grabs his hand, holds the guys arm, while he lift his leg over and kicks him in the head. walks over and shakes hands with the rest of his mates. So smooth.

3. Dutch - Quarter Final vs Daniel, 0-0. Misses a kick to Daniel, then from nowhere, kicks him again right in the eye. Daniel holds his eye. Listen for the sound.

4. Mike Barnes - when he interrupts Daniel in the Bonzai store at night, and after he kicks Jessica, he scraps with Daniel. Watch the sort of reverse kick/ inside to out kick he catches Daniel with as he walks forward.

5. Johnny again. Semi final, he's 1-0 on Darryl Vidal. Vidal tries about 4 fancy roundhouse kicks and misses. He tries 1 more and Johnny is waiting for it....whack, high kick to the head, floors Vidal.

As you can see, most are shots to the head, but they have the greatest impact and sound so effective. Watch for these moves people and comment back !!!!!

Posts: 5 | From: Hamilton, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clinty mc fly
Master Rewinder
Member # 2946

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for clinty mc fly   Email clinty mc fly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im with cobraneverdies its like he took the words from my head,but dont 4get the ice brakin move that was sweet.
Posts: 107 | From: Lincoln,uk | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CobraKaiNeverDies
Rewind Curious
Member # 2075

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CobraKaiNeverDies   Email CobraKaiNeverDies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've just watched Karate Kid 1, 2 and 3 all in a row tonight. So good. And i must say even more moves caught my eye.

1. Chozen in Sato's gym beating several guys by himself. Some amazing moves.

2. Daniel with the ice.

3. Miyagi breaking the log.....amazing.

Posts: 5 | From: Hamilton, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike0001
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3589

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for mike0001   Email mike0001   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MY BEST WAS THE FIGHT SCENE OUTSIDE MIYAGI'S FARTHERS HOUSE AGINST CHOZEN AND HIS FRIENDS THAT WAS AMAZING!!!
Posts: 20 | From: wales | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vidal
Rewinder
Member # 3208

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Vidal   Email Vidal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vidal! Everything he did! [Smile]
Posts: 46 | From: South Euclid,Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHEGOTGAME
Master Rewinder
Member # 476

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SHEGOTGAME   Email SHEGOTGAME   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think CobraKaiNeverDies hit it right on! I think the best karate moves were done by Johnny and Dutch.
Johnny-his first fight where he grabs the guy's hand and swings his leg over his arm and kicks him in the face
Dutch-when he kicks Daniel in the face
These were both kinda similar moves in a way, but they just looked really cool...
Oh and the time when Vidal's doing the crazy moves and Johnny just kicks him in the face and he falls hard on his back...I guess i just like watching guys get kicked in the face :-)
CobraKaiNeverDies~I'm pretty sure you mentioned all these...but I figured i'd repeat them since they were so awesome...Great minds think alike I guess :-)

Posts: 228 | From: Elizabethtown, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brown
Master Rewinder
Member # 89

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to do the "Kata" sequence in my Karate Kid pyjamas. I may give it a whirl in the morning. LMAO.

Happy New Year.

-Ian

Posts: 296 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The famous "Crane Kick" by Daniel was the coolest karate move because it was not something I had ever seen before or since. However, if it wasn't a movie and instead a real karate match, I would have to say that Darryl Vidal would have kicked everyone's tassh. [Karate Kid]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course after reading on The Rewind that Darryl was the man behind the "Crane Kick"....maybe it was all Darryl Vidal.

Rewind: Darryl Vidal

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen i like kk,but as for all the moves Especially that crane crap see how well that would stack up in a street fight...not very well in highschool their was a kid names BRANDAN FISHER i will never froget he was a brown belt and picked a fight with me i did not have any martial arts training and i kicked his a.s.s. .I would take a good street fighter any day over a blackbelt,and if you want to see somebody who is good in martial arts watch REVENGE OF THE NINJA Shô Kosugi a true Ninjitsu master. [Big Grin]

CAPTAIN RHODES [Karate Kid]

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Rhodes that is actually a cool movie that I know very well. I must say Shô Kosugi had some awesome moves in that movie, but the little boy stuff was a little too cheesy. Of course, Ashley Ferrare's moves were nice to look at as well.

Isis you would be interested to know that the director of this movie, Sam Firstenberg, directed both Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo & Ninja III: The Domination . Must have enjoyed long titled movies. [Big Grin]

Larusso's Legend
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 2868

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Larusso's Legend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to say possibly the kata in kk3. with the music and emotional response we have to the characters focusing on this one pure moment of enlightenment on daniel's behalf....Pure magic. although iconically the crane has it.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wot kinda idiot dresses as a shower
Rewind Curious
Member # 3649

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for wot kinda idiot dresses as a shower   Email wot kinda idiot dresses as a shower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Iam new here...anyway, as 'Cobrakaineverdies' said the 'sweep the leg' move is one of the sweetest moves I've ever seen, being a black belt myself I know how good that move is, its so hard to do that if you notce when Johnny does it there is a quick edit so my guess is that it was done in two shots then put together
Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home