iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Karate Tournaments Are a Joke

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Karate Tournaments Are a Joke
Karate Forever
Senior Rewinder
Member # 291

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Karate Forever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karate tournaments are a joke. They show fighting skills that are completely restricted by traditional rules. They are not at all indicative of a fighter's potential in a real fight. I've seen these kids in my karate classes that do great in tournaments and then get really cocky thinking their great fighters, then they get in a fight in the school yard with some average kid and get the crap beaten out of them. So when Danny beats Johnny in the tourament, in reality it proves only that he can win when his opponent is strictly restricted. In other words, I never really understood the big deal when Danny won. Johnny could still kick his *** any day of the week.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they basically proved your point in KK3. He kept getting his butt kicked by Silvers crew. I love KK1 and everything about it but your right. It was a controlled envirement, so it's not like the Cobera Kais could really let loose and kick his arse. [Cool]

I think KK2 wasn't believable to me because I think Cozen would have killed Danielsan. At least thats my two cents. [Smile]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brown
Master Rewinder
Member # 89

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^No doubt, Chozen is a beast. That fight is kinda unbelievable, but hey.. it made for good viewing!
Posts: 296 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I seemed to have misplaced my brain! After reviewing my post above, I see I have mispelled a zillion words. Oh well....

Anyone ever fight in a martial arts tournament before? Just wondering. [Karate Kid]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron_H
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1942

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aaron_H   Email Aaron_H   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've fought in a number of Karate Tournaments before.
Posts: 19 | From: England, UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin S.
Rewinder
Member # 1555

- posted      Profile for Kevin S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karate Kevin:
Karate tournaments are a joke. They show fighting skills that are completely restricted by traditional rules. They are not at all indicative of a fighter's potential in a real fight. I've seen these kids in my karate classes that do great in tournaments and then get really cocky thinking their great fighters, then they get in a fight in the school yard with some average kid and get the crap beaten out of them. So when Danny beats Johnny in the tourament, in reality it proves only that he can win when his opponent is strictly restricted. In other words, I never really understood the big deal when Danny won. Johnny could still kick his *** any day of the week.

Yeah, but the movie was mainly about the fundamentals and spirit of what karate really is. It wasn't about showing "realistic fighting", we all know that no human being can be trained to be a black belt in a mere month and a half. The film was also about having Daniel win his honor and respect back.

Makes me wonder though, why is that boxers tend to do OK in street brawls? They usually win street fights and are feared. Yet karate students (not counting the truly great ones like a Jet Li type) get the cr*p beaten out of them in street fights? I took Kung Fu when I was 12 years old, and I remember all the kids in my class thought that what we were being taught simply wasn't practical in a real street fight and we would get our a$$es handed to us. It wasn't practical at all, but it gave us a good work out.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xJohnnyx
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1246

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for xJohnnyx   Email xJohnnyx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people who know martial arts sometimes try and make it look to pretty in the streets. They might want to land a perfect spinning side kick or something like that and end up getting tagged. Boxing fights are rarely ever pretty because guys are always butting heads and tying each other up. And even when they keep their distance, the fights do not look nearly as great as a Karate fight might look. So, boxers usually just tend to brawl in the streets it seems to me. Maybe they don't worry as much about making the fight look clean. But that's just me.

Chris

Posts: 21 | From: Jersey. | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron_H
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1942

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Aaron_H   Email Aaron_H   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, that is totally wrong.
Karate in the streets is in now way made to look good. That is an old myth, such as the one that boxing is better than karate, it all depends on the person and the style.

I for one make my karateka look good in competition, but much worse on the streets. In the streets you try not to get hurt, not about how good it looks.

I, in the streets am more likely to pick up weapons and poles and anything in the streets, I dont worry about my karate too much.

Karate is useless unless it has been used in practice. Even then you need to know how to fight dirty and use your fists properly.

Posts: 19 | From: England, UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron_H
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1942

Rate Member
example:

In a competition and in training Shotokan karate has very long stances and is made to look very nice.

But in the streets it is more about being fast (hence using your leg muscles in training with liong stances), that is why I practice not only the martial art, but how to use it effectivly.

A shotokan karateka will unlikely use long stances in practice, it will tend to be shorter and more like Wadu-ryu. [Big Grin]

Thanks,
just my experences

Karate Forever
Senior Rewinder
Member # 291

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Karate Forever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 5 years ago in Boston a 23 year old triple karate blackbelt was killed by an 18 year old kid during an attempted mugging. The investigation revealed that no weapons were used, and the 18 year old male beat the karate champion to death with a series of punches and kicks. It didn't appear to be a surprise attack because the fight scene indicated a violent and long fight. After the 18 year old guy was arrested his friends said that while he worked out regularly, he was of normal build and had no formal fight training. Unfortunately there are many of these karate "champions" walking around out there thinking that they are great fighters too.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin S.
Rewinder
Member # 1555

- posted      Profile for Kevin S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Yes he was killed, but at least he made a good fight.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhutch
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1352

- posted      Profile for Jhutch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never taken any sort of karate, but I've been taking kickboxing for about a year. My coach has had years and years of training in different styles of martial arts, but mainly he's a boxer. He always stresses the basics. He's willing to teach me any sort of elaborate kicks that I want, but he's always quick to say "well, you'll never use this in a fight, but here's how to do it...".

If someone taking martial arts relies on mostly kicks in a fight, I can understand how a boxer could beat them (but I'm not saying that one is better than the other). If I try to throw a kick when sparring with my coach, he'll just rush up on me and throw tons of punches. I don't even see the punches coming, they're so blinding. And once he's standing so close, I can't rely on kicks.

I think that the best way for me to be able to protect myself is to learn/practice a variety of things. I've picked up some kicks/punches in kickboxing, but I want to start attending some jiujitsu classes to learn some throwing/grappling techniques. Isn't it true that most fights end up on the ground anyway?

Posts: 82 | From: Southern USA | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jabeen
Rewind Guru
Member # 244

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jabeen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My opinion on this is who cares? Johnny and the Cobra Kais deserved to get put in their place. They were too cocky for their own good. The movie is not about how good you can fight. That is really irrelevant. We have Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies for this (I love both of them BTW). It is about strength and courage and not letting life get you down no matter how many times it literally kicks you in the face. In fact I see it this way. Just because Johnny can kick Daniel's behind any day of the week does not mean that he is cool or spectacular in his fighting or character. That says nothing impressive about him. Only that he should know better than to use his valuable Karate skill so lightly and offensively. I say all this in good spirits. [Smile] I hope I'm not offending anyone.

When I was a Freshman in highschool there was a kid in my class who got picked on by our school's king karate. It's a long story, but this kid knew no martial arts or any fighting technique, was inches smaller and pounds lighter but managed to beat the you know what out of our king karate in street fight. How did he do that I do not know, but I think after being picked on for almost that whole year, getting beat up on by the bully and his friends outside of school and just life being made a living hell for him, he was really p*ssed off and let him have it. He broke both of the bully's legs and shoulder. I saw him during the fight too and he looked scary. Sometimes you never know when you're going to push a person too far. Even a little person.

Posts: 661 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tank
Rewind Curious
Member # 2311

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Tank   Author's Homepage   Email Tank   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Jabeen is right! The fight is not really the main part of the film.
I've been doing martial arts for quite a while in my life and I tried different styles, from Jeet Kune Do(which is mainly street fighting and self defense) to ju-jitsu(ground fighting and grappling) and Thai boxing (kicks,punches,knees,elbows and some throws).
If you wanna see a real fight have a look to the UFC. But remember in the street to go on the ground is not so good expecially in a brawl where you may fight against more than one person. Believe me, only in the films you see peolpe waiting their turn to punch some guy while his mate he's getting the **** kicked out of him.

Posts: 2 | From: Maastricht (NL) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jabeen
Rewind Guru
Member # 244

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jabeen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks for the input Tank! [Wink] I'm thinking of taking up martial arts myself, but I don't know if I can afford it.

Sincerely,
~(Jabeen)~

Posts: 661 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home