iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Scenes that should have been cut out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scenes that should have been cut out
cs1992
Rewinder
Member # 694

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for cs1992   Email cs1992   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the movie and remember being obsessed with it in the mid 80s when HBO showed it over and over. However, do you think that some scenes should not have made the final cut?

I really don't care for the school scene where Daniel invites the cobra kai to study with their history teacher. It really diminished the rivalry between Daniel and Jonny (and the others).

I also did not think that the tournament was as good as it could've been. It seemed that Dutch had as much (if not more) animosity towards Daniel as Jonny. Yet, the tournament fight scene with Dutch was hardly as intense as it should have been. It was almost anticlimatic after the Dutch bout.

Anyways, it would have made sense to delete the teacher scene and add the cafeteria pie scene instead.

Posts: 45 | From: Norbolt, ND, USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
celticbabe
Master Rewinder
Member # 664

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for celticbabe   Email celticbabe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the scene that should have been deleted was when Miyagi and Daniel were leaving the beach and those two guys say "Look, the kid has a pet nip" I never understood WHY that scene is in the movie, a gratuitous ethnic slur is all that was.

The scene with Dutch was fine though, remember ALL of the Cobra Kai disliked Daniel, but I do agree I expected more when Dutch and Danny fought against eachother.

The teacher scene was legitimate because it showed Danny felt brave enough to "tease" the Cobras, knowing he wouldn't get his butt kicked because of the deal between Kreese, Miyagi and the Cobra Kai students.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
ea29
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 744

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ea29   Email ea29   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Kid has a pet nip" scene is hilarious?? How could you want to cut that out? The two drunk guys are so funny especially when he said, "kindly remove it yourself, Mr. Moto" then he sticks his teeth out. I laugh just thinking about that part! Lighten up Celticbabe, it was a funny scene!!
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
celticbabe
Master Rewinder
Member # 664

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for celticbabe   Email celticbabe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ea,

Oh, ya got me all wrong here darlin, I actually ENJOY the scene...my post was solely "what was the meaning behind it" that's all. When my good friend and I are throwing around movie quotes, that's one of the ones I like to say.
Technically, the scene is pretty irrelevant to anything else in the movie, it just seemed like an odd take-

BTW, did you notice when the guy says "Kindly remove it yourself, Mr. Moto.."
He actually says "KindRy remove it yourself, Mr. Moto"- kinda poking fun at Miyagi's Okinawan accent...

"Dunno....first time!"

lol

Posts: 125 | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Slater
Senior Rewinder
Member # 502

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Slater   Email Slater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

If there was one scene I would cut it would be the scene in the restaurant where Lucille works. Lucille talks about working as a waitress and teases Daniel about fancying Ali. The scene is pretty irrelevant as we know from the draft scripts that Lucille role was cut down. Also in the background you can see the Cobra Kai spot Daniel sitting in the window, they then turn and run off as if to spring some nasty surprise on Daniel when he comes out. However some other bits must have been cut out as this plot goes nowhere. Given that they might as well take the whole lot out.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Dec 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
celticbabe
Master Rewinder
Member # 664

Member Rated:
Slater,

The nasty surprise is when Daniel leaves the restaurant on his bike, at dusk, to go home and the Cobra Kais catch up with him on their motorcycles..."Looking for a shortcut back to Newark, Daniel..?"
They planned that from when they spotted Danny in the Orient Express Restaurant.

Slater
Senior Rewinder
Member # 502

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Slater   Email Slater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I follow your logic Celticbabe, but that restaurant scene is in broad daylight. How would Cobra Kai's know where Daniel was going to be hours later? Are we supposed to believe that they followed Daniel around for hours before jumping him?

Posts: 82 | Registered: Dec 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the pie scene should have remained but I do not agree that they should have deleted the scene where Daniel asks the Cobra Kai to study with his teacher.
Daniel was only being sarcastic because he knew that it would piss them off and there was nothing they could do about it. Daniel had just asked Ali out on a date and Johnny and the rest of the guys were a little angry (you could see them watching in the distance). Just as they were coming forth to say something Daniel notices the teacher and saves his butt.
Although the Cobra Kai were not aloud to touch him until the tournament, Johnny looked like he wanted to take him out right then and there. That's why he grabbed the teacher. I thought that it stayed true to their rivalry. I know he wasn't asking to be nice. I liked that scene, thought it was funny, especialy when the guys all run off in different directions and Daniel is left the teacher to listen about the "horse and the Indian" story.
Well that's just my two cents anyway. :)

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
celticbabe
Master Rewinder
Member # 664

Member Rated:
Hey Slater,

I always thought of the restaurant scene taking place just before dusk, maybe at like 6:30-7:30 PM- the sun looks like it's on its way down- so by the time he left they had time to get their motorcycles and to find Daniel on his bike- they knew where he lived so it couldn't have been too hard.

That's just how I always saw that scene :)

Anyone else have an idea about the time of day during the restaurant scene?

Slater
Senior Rewinder
Member # 502

Rate Member

I will get my sextant out and measure the height of the sun above the horizon. We should be able to work the time of day out from that.

dlo
Senior Rewinder
Member # 726

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for dlo   Email dlo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone noticed after the scene Slater and Celticbabe are talking about when he catches up with Ali and her mate in school when Ali introduces her Daniel to her mate and there talking how he hurt his head and Daniel says it's a runaway gigantic zit. Well when he says he fell of his bike and Ali's mate asked what bike he had, Daniel says a miyagi(mi-ya-gi) turbo bike assuming he ment Mr Miyagi he just had not said the name properly yet. But as we know later on in the night he only just finds his fixed bike that he through away the night before and then finds out Mr Miyagi fixed it. So it seems like they have either mixed the scenes up or missed some out.
Posts: 93 | From: Liverpool, United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
yazdanid
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1223

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for yazdanid   Email yazdanid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the whole film does seem a little ragged at times and I completely agree that the film has either been edited heavely or badly which sometimes gives it the feel of cutting from one set piee to another without a great deal of continuity..but hey its not the shawshank redemption..we all enjoy it for its quirky charm..it's only now because we are a little older we can see with more clarity the odd flaw.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home