iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Part II beginning filmed in 1984....true??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Part II beginning filmed in 1984....true??
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I know the IMBD trivia sections are about as reliable as The Enquirer, but is this true?:

"The opening scenes (Daniel in the shower, and the confrontation in the parking lot with Kreese) are scenes that were filmed for, and edited out of the end of The Karate Kid. The new scenes begin when the title card "Six months later" appears."

To me anyway, Macchio looks older in that scene, but maybe my eyes were playing tricks on you, heh heh.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I heard that also, then I read somewhere else (can't remember where) that it was not filmed in 1984, but in 1986. It was originally part of the first KK's script but the scene was cut out. I read that they decided to put it back in the beginning of the second film to create a sort of cohesiveness(is that even a word?) to part 2. Anyway, They credit all the Kobra Kais at the end but "Dutch" doesn't seem to really be there. If you watch that part, the impersonator has a hood on and usually stands facing the other way. Never letting us get a good look at his face. Or maybe it is him, but he refused to bleach his hair and eyebrows for a 30 second shot. This will always be a great Karate Kid mystery.....LOL :)
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
J_Muir
Senior Rewinder
Member # 243

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for J_Muir   Email J_Muir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is just a thought.....maybe what they meant was that that scene was in the origional SCRIPT but just never got filmed. Maybe they just meant it was cut out of the script and not the actual movie. So when KK2 came around they had a script for that scene and just filmed it then. Does that make any sense?? Who knows???. It is definately a big mystery!
Posts: 55 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be, but the wording was "filmed for, but edited out of...", so I was figuring they were filmed but dropped. If only we could ask Ralph, Pat or Avildsen, heh heh.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Koeago
Rewinder
Member # 308

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Koeago   Email Koeago   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this topic is as old as the hills but it's still a good one and I thought I'd give it my two cents.

The scene was DEFINITELY filmed in '86.

Observe:

* As McFly said above, Daniel does look slightly older.

* The referee has also aged a bit and he seems to have lost some hair.

* Martin Kove is credited for " Returning as Kreese" and William Zabka et al are credited for " Returning as the Cobras".

* If this scene was originally filmed as a part of KK1, surly it would have included Ali and Danny's mom. (Where are they supposed to be when all this fighting is going on anyways?)

But the real proof is this:

* Miyagi's beard is completely grey. As we all know, he still had a bit of black in his beard in KK1.

I think IMDB got the facts mixed up. Maybe this scene was written in '84 but as far as I'm concerned, it definietly was'nt filmed til the sequel in '86.

[ 29. August 2003, 20:19: Message edited by: Koeago ]

Posts: 34 | From: Dublin,Ireland | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
Plus, the more I think about "They'll be talking about that last kick for years", makes me think it was a couple years after the fact with KK becoming a hit. I would guess in the making of a film that was so low budget, with unknowns, that they had no idea it would be become so big. So I think it was one of those "talking ahead of ourselves" jokes with the announcer saying the kick will be talked about.

Also a little thing I never thought of: I guess KK 2 and 3 both take place in 1985, being six months after the tournament. Weird.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koeago
Rewinder
Member # 308

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Koeago   Email Koeago   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think KK3 takes place about 10 months after KK1 because when the tournament finally arrives in KK3, it's exactly a year since the first one. I guess Danny and Miyagi stayed in Owkinowa for a good 4 months or so before they returned to California. Danny probably ate alot of fatty foods when he was over there too!

[ 09. September 2003, 05:19: Message edited by: Koeago ]

Posts: 34 | From: Dublin,Ireland | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin S.
Rewinder
Member # 1555

- posted      Profile for Kevin S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^But for those of us that actually grew up in the 1980's, it's pretty easy to tell KK3's 1989 fashions from what should be 1985.

They really should have aged the characters in real time, and had Daniel be a 21 or 22 year old college student for Part III.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koeago
Rewinder
Member # 308

Member Rated:
Yeah, that would've been much better. That at least would've explained Dannys sudden gain in weight!
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You defintly can not believe what is written in IMDB.COM!!! You can't even believe what movies they say that the actors are in either!! My dad's best friend was an actor in the mid 80's and early 90's and he is listed on IMDB.com as being in a movie in 1952 the only problem is he wasn't born until 1955!!!! It is kinda hard to be the "boy" in a movie if you are not even born yet!!! [Eek!] I send them updated infor but they never update his page with the proper info. Then they don't even list some of the other movies he was in. I know this doesn't just apply to unknown actors either!!! Big screen actors are misssing some of their work as well! [Mad]

As for the idea about KK2 being filmed when #1 was I will agree with Koeago his facts make sense.... [Confused]

Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home