iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » whatever happened too........ (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: whatever happened too........
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My all time favorite movie just happens to be The Karate Kid. I was wondering if anyone knows what ever happened to all the actors that starred in the film. I know that Chad mqueen(dutch)has a racing career and stars in B films. Elisabeth Shue has been well and can still be seen in recent films. But what ever happened to William Zabka(Johnny), Ron Thomas(bobby), and Ralph macchio?? Anyone have any info? Thanks
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brown
Master Rewinder
Member # 89

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should help.. here is a list of Profiles for The KK actors.. I got em from www.imdb.com (credit)

Daniel http://us.imdb.com/Name?Macchio,+Ralph

Here is a recent pic of Ralph Maccio too.. :D

Johnny http://us.imdb.com/Name?Zabka,+William

Bobby http://us.imdb.com/Name?Thomas,+Ron+(I)

enjoy..

-Brown

Posts: 296 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks alot brown! That was great info!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Slater
Senior Rewinder
Member # 502

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Slater   Email Slater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone wanting to know what happened to Billy Zabka and Martin Kove should check out the film Shootfighter. Zabka plays a karate instructor sucked into the world of shootfighting e.g illegal to the death karate matches organised by villian Martin Kove.

Zabka looks like he has been on steroids as he has beefed up plenty since KK1 and does not look like he would fit into his old skeleton costume anymore. Kove looks cool with designer stubble and tuxedo.

Bolo Yeung also turns up, in what is practically a non speaking role, his whole role seems to be designed to keep the financiers happy and no doubt ensured a few extra video rentals.

If that is not enough of a karate kid connection for you the fight scenes are choreographed by Pat E Johnson.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Dec 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An obvious statement, but I can't help it....

Ralph got so OLD!

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
yazdanid
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1223

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for yazdanid   Email yazdanid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also had the "pleasure?" of watching Shootfighter and can best describe it as x-rated version of karate kid without a decent script and with very little humour..Martin Kove has great hair though...big-ups to his hair stylist..say slater..tell me what happened at the end...i think i fell asleep b4 the finish :)
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
jonesy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 867

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for jonesy   Email jonesy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow! Ralph looks older than 15. I can't believe it
Posts: 19 | From: brownsburg, In usa | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Slater
Senior Rewinder
Member # 502

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Slater   Email Slater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Not that much of the film makes much sense but Nick finds the location of the Shootfighter finals in an attempt to stop Ruben(Zabka) taking part (because he doesn't know what he is getting into). Nick is caught and is forced into fighting Zabka otherwise they will both be killed.

Bolo finds out what is happening to his former students and also locates the venue of the shootfighter finals (NB to Martin Kove - you might need to look at your security arrangements they are piss poor)

Bolo turns up and challenges Kove to a one on one for the lives of Nick and Ruben. Kove who has been nursing a grudge against Bolo throughout the film obviously accepts. The source of the grudge is never explained, neither is the plaster cast Kove where's on his right wrist throughout the film. Are they connected who knows? The scriptwriters choose not to tell us.

Bolo wins and Kove is again threatened with the death blow that Miyagi used in KK1, only Kove does not get his nose tweeked this time.

Fade to black, credits roll over shot of Bolo performing a Kata on the beach with setting son silhouetting his body (just like in KK1)

Posts: 82 | Registered: Dec 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
I wonder why Zabka never had a decent career after Karate Kid. I just saw a movie from 1987 with Ron Thomas (bobby), it was called "Night Screams". It was the most horrible slasher flick I have ever seen! It was so bad that my sister and I laughed throughout the complete movie. If anyone has watched this, I'm sure you will agree with me that this movie has SO many mistakes! It's just so hilarious!
Slater
Senior Rewinder
Member # 502

Rate Member

I think the problem with Zabka is that he just didn't have that "x" factor as an actor. I have seen him in a few things and he just doesn't really have any presence on screen. You can see why he got work during the 80s cos he had that blonde captain of the football team thing going for him but after he got too old for those roles the work dried up. He always comes across as someone who is a bit whiney and weak and this clashes with his blonde beef cake appearance which stops him from making a career out of those types of roles.

Thats my humble opinion anyway....

Meaney
Rewind Curious
Member # 356

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Meaney   Email Meaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to www.imdb.com and type in their name. you will see the lates projects they are working on.
Posts: 9 | From: Lourdes, NF, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
SHEGOTGAME
Master Rewinder
Member # 476

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SHEGOTGAME   Email SHEGOTGAME   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali_with_an_i.....Hey I saw that Bobby was in that movie "Night Screams" and I wanted to rent it and see how it was. I heard it wasn't all that great, but I loved Bobby(Ron Thomas) in the Karate Kid and always wanted to see him in his other movies. Does he look the same in "Night Screams"?

Posts: 228 | From: Elizabethtown, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 138

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dave   Email Dave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron Thomas looked pretty much the same in
Night Screams as he did in the Karate Kid.
I also have another movie Ron was in called
The Big Bet. This was just your average B
class teen comedy that came out in 1985.
Again, Ron looked the same but in Big Bet
he wore braces.

Posts: 7 | From: Plymouth, Ma USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
SHEGOTGAME
Master Rewinder
Member # 476

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SHEGOTGAME   Email SHEGOTGAME   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dave!
Posts: 228 | From: Elizabethtown, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Ron Thomas also wore braces in Night Screams. His face looked a little fuller too. I wonder what he does now? Wonder if he still is an actor. I know he was an extra in some Ethan Hawke movie that came out in like 92, I just cant remember the name of it.
Oh well, it'll come to me soner or later! :)

Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 138

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dave   Email Dave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome!!
Posts: 7 | From: Plymouth, Ma USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 138

Rate Member
I believe Ron is a stuntman and a stunt
coordinator in the film industry. For the
most part he owns and runs a martial arts
studio in Northridge California where he
is the chief instructor. He hold a 6th
degree blackbelt in jujitsu and is a two
time world champion. He's also married and
has twin daughters that are about 8 years
old.

Slater
Senior Rewinder
Member # 502

Rate Member

Dave, are you sure you're not Ron Thomas?

Not even Ron's mum knows this much about him.

Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 138

Rate Member
Well, I wouldn't mind being him. I emailed
him in the past and he was good enough to
reply to some of the questions I asked him.

SHEGOTGAME
Master Rewinder
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Hey Dave, what's his e-mail address???
Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 138

Rate Member
Here ya go, ron@worldclasstc.com
SHEGOTGAME
Master Rewinder
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Thanks so much Dave!!! Oh...and I was curious if Ron dies in the movie "Night Screams"? and if he does, is it early on in the movie or towards the end?...Just wondering so I know if and/or when to expect it, because I might rent the movie sometime soon.
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
He has a big part in Night Screams, don't worry, anything bad happens in the end. But keep your eyes peeled. There is a funny little part towards the end when he is sliding a knife over to his friend who is being attacked. The knife goes right past him! Then in the following scene, the friend has it! I laughed so hard and had to rewind it a few times. Also, if you have a DVD player, Night Screams has been released in the US, I'm not sure about region 2. I think that we should submit a Night Screams page, its worthy of some notice I think! Well have a good night everyone!
Ali

SHEGOTGAME
Master Rewinder
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info. Ali_with_an_i!!!
Dave
Rewind Curious
Member # 138

Rate Member
You're welcome, <SheGotGame>. Let me know
how you make out when you e-mail Ron.

>Take care, Dave...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home