iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Karate Kid location update

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Karate Kid location update
Daniel S
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8470

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Daniel S   Email Daniel S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys, just wanted to do a small but significant update for the Karate Kid locations. Not sure if the webmaster will see my email as it says he gets tons, so I'll post it here as well.

The location is the opening Jersey scene, where Daniel's Malibu pulls out and all the kids are saying bye. The newest piece of info here says its in Kearny, NJ, but it is actually in Harrison, NJ, which is right next to Kearny.

The street in question is Franklin Ave. Since we don't know which is Daniel's house, the closest match would be one of the homes at the end of the block, where the Malibu is parked.

A quick google map search for "720 Franklin Ave, Harrison, NJ" will show you the street, I believe their address was on or near 720. Up the street where it T's with Hamilton St, the satellite image shows a dirt field. This was where the factory was located with the water tower that can be seen in the movie, it was demolished to build the new High School, which is already present if you zoom in to the street view. Daniels block is just south of that, and looks really intact, just a few changes when compared to the movie.

There was little to no information on the web for the actual location of Daniel's street, and a YouTube video gave me the tipoff. If you YouTube "Kearny Hippie Kids 1968", you'll see a grainy video that shows the water tower in the background. The video was taken from the north side of the water tower in West Hudson Park. One of the comments from a resident mentions the water tower being destroyed to build the high school, so that connected all the dots. Check it out, maybe someone in that area can get some pictures and/or video taken!

Daniel

-

From Google St view

-

From opening scene

[ 20. December 2009, 18:09: Message edited by: Daniel S ]

Posts: 12 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CGARDEL
Rewind Curious
Member # 8630

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CGARDEL   Email CGARDEL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I NEVER REALIZED THAT THE LOCATION IN THE FILM WAS ACTUALLY MY CHILDHOOD STREET! WE LIVED AT #4 FRANKLIN AVENUE WHICH IS NOW PART OF THE PARKING LOT ON THE LEFT OF THE PICTURE.
Posts: 1 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8470

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Daniel S   Email Daniel S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, when did you live there? have any friends who still lived there circa 1984?
Posts: 12 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Dec 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danny boy, that is one WICKED bit of detective work you've done there! [Smile]

Do you mind if I add your discovery to the locations page -- with full credit to yourself, of course? [Smile]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8470

Rate Member
hey Nick, not at all, I actually wanted to have this on a fansite like yours and not on some generic site like IMDB, glad to help out!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home