iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » Interesting question.............

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting question.............
Mike_01
Rewind Curious
Member # 7532

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mike_01   Email Mike_01   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guy's and Girl's

I was wondering if you could be so kind to help me with a question, I've worked out that the karate being used in the Film is partially a style called Goju-Ryu which is of real Okinawan origin, or Chinese if you want to go further back in history however I do also understand that it was Pat E. Johnson who taught Daniel and Miyagi a mixture of Tang soo do and Karate.

However my question is in the karate kid 2, there is a scene where Mr Miyagi is training in his 'dojo' in the morning, followed by the appearance of Daniel who walks in when Mr Miyagi is performing 'Kata'. Mr Miyagi then shows Daniel the for founders of his karate, Is the founder (the guy in the last picture) Kanryo Higaonna the real founder of Goju-Ryu karate?

I've tried to examin some pictures of the real founder and the image on the wall above the shrine in between the two 'rules' of karate, they do look similar however I thought I'd ask you guys for back up.

If your wondering why im so interested it's just that I have recently started Goju-ryu Karate [Big Grin] [Karate Kid] and Im trying to find out the real comparisions.

Thank you for any replies in advance,

Mike.

Posts: 4 | From: North Wales | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't bank much on a Hollywood movie getting anything right, pertaining to Asian culture or the history of Martial Arts.

Some sources claim that the founder of Goju Ryu was this guy.... Chojun Miyagi....

-

And some claim Kanryo Higaonna .....

-

I study asian culture, philosophy and martial arts. But Have only trained in Chinese styles such as Wing Chun and Tibetan White Crane Kung Fu. plus some years in Kickboxing, Taekwondo and Muay Thai. So I really know very little about Karate and its origins.

The internet is a fickle place for info such as this. Once you think you have found your answer, another source claims the opposite. Doesn't your sensei or some senior members of your dojo know?

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinick
Rewinder
Member # 6245

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kinick   Author's Homepage   Email Kinick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAY LEE:
[QB] I wouldn't bank much on a Hollywood movie getting anything right, pertaining to Asian culture or the history of Martial Arts.

Some sources claim that the founder of Goju Ryu was this guy.... Chojun Miyagi....

-

In the documentary on the Karate Kid DVD Robert Kamen states this... Miyagi Chojun, founder of the school of Goju Ryu or something and is who Miyagi was named after...
Posts: 40 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Wicky 2 nd Dan   Email Wicky 2 nd Dan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok,I have been studying this form of Karate for some years as my belt would tell you.Ill ask my Sensei,hell know this as he is also quite a fan of the films.
As an instructor myself,I was puzzled by this Kata.I could not rememeber having seen this preformed by my seniors,so I asked Sensei if he knew what it was.He said to lend me books on the matter,wich I have read,and it is definately a mix,of wich two styles I havent made out yet,but I will. Good luck on your training,and remember Mr Myagis words on where your karate is found,in yourself.Stay true to that and you will succed in what you set out to do

Posts: 38 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home