iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » New Karate Kid remake... For real 2009!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Karate Kid remake... For real 2009!!!
Mike_01
Rewind Curious
Member # 7532

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mike_01   Email Mike_01   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone, I've just stumbled across this shocking news,

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/will-smiths-son-to-remake-karate-kid/15251

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/will-smiths-son-to-remake-karate-kid

http://www.sohh.com/2008/11/will_smiths_son_tapped_fo.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/11/jaden-smith-to-star-in-ka_n_142907.html

What do we all think, Will Smiths soon!! Isn't he too young. I guess it will be good for the younger generation but no matter how good it is it won't change my feel for the original.

Im still trying to find out if it's going to be a sequel or just another remake of the KK like for instance Never Back Down, which is a good movie I might add but nothing in comparison.

If it is a sequel it certainly won't be the same because it won't have any of the original cast and I really can't see Ralph playing in the movie now.

If anyone has any more updated news please do post,

So share your thoughts and opinions.. [Wink]

Mike.

Posts: 4 | From: North Wales | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike_01
Rewind Curious
Member # 7532

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Mike_01   Email Mike_01   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im sorry Guy and girls about the double post.

Was in a shock, I just wanted to update you guys.

Posts: 4 | From: North Wales | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm... MeThinks a potential disaster unless very carefully managed. [Frown]

Lets hope they manage to inject some real heart into the equation

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Pooh
Master Rewinder
Member # 5798

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Princess Pooh   Email Princess Pooh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another remake. Ooooo Goody. (yawn).
Posts: 156 | From: London | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Wicky 2 nd Dan   Email Wicky 2 nd Dan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is most definately too young.
In the original Daniel is most likely 17 or so,he is most certainly not 10!!!
Can I ask how they intend to make a 10 year old act like hes 18?
The producers are more than welcome to come to me and observe just how 10 year old kids act when they train Karate.
I am disappnted they are even doing this so in respect of the true rolecharacters I will not lower myself to see this one.

Posts: 38 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinick
Rewinder
Member # 6245

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kinick   Author's Homepage   Email Kinick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He wont be acting like he's 18. He'll be acting his own age, obviously. It isn't a direct remake. And it's primarily for da kiddies.
Posts: 40 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Wicky 2 nd Dan   Email Wicky 2 nd Dan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok then...

I tought it was a direct remake,wich we all know isnt needed.
Ill ask one of my brown belt friends that said he wanted to see it to do a rewiew if Sensei has not already asked.Personally,Ill rather use that time I could have spent watching the film in the theatre on training and perfecting my own Karate.
Remakes I dont really tend to like because they usually never measure up to the originals.Why cant the producers just start to think new and leave what is true greatness as they are???

Posts: 38 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bori
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7659

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bori   Email Bori   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the right person for the part. It will be begining of the end for will smiths son.

[ 07. January 2009, 07:26: Message edited by: Bori ]

Posts: 14 | From: Elizabeth, NJ | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
I agree Bori.
It makes me sick that not even one of the great movies of all times can be left alone.
Id still vote Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita as my Miyagi and Daniel,no 10 year old kid is goona change that,no matter whos son he is.And isnt Will smith involved in the production somehow??
Its not gonna be anything like the Karate kid we know and love,as I read its beeing recorded in China.
But let them have it their way,cause this one is gonna get butcherd.

Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
Oh btw,I heard they hadnt found Mr Miyagi yet for this one.Can I hope they dont find one good enough???
Or am I just beeing bitchy for saying it out loud what everybody is thinking anyway??

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get ready for this one.

The new Mr Miyagi will be played by...

JACKIE CHAN!!!!!!

/face palm

Sweep the noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
WHAT?????

I am sick to my stomach now.
This isnt a wise careermove for the kid,and it isnt gonna be Chans brightest moment either.
Id bet Pat Morita is turning in his grave now,and I would really have loved for Ralph to say something on behalf of them both.
It is just disgusting what they are doing to one of the 80s best movies ever.
There should have been a law against stupid things like this.
No matter how good actors the two of them might possibly be,Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio is always gonna be Daniel LaRusso and Kesuke Miyagi to me,not these other two clowns.
Anyone else feeling sick with the tought of this movie???

Kinick
Rewinder
Member # 6245

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kinick   Author's Homepage   Email Kinick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, because we can sit back and laugh at just how ridiculous it is when its released. They're not trying to replace the original either. It's Hollywood; they're using it as a vehicle to tell their story about some KID being bullied in China or wherever.
Posts: 40 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
Good point.
Got a releasedate for me,so I know when to start laughing my heart out???
Cause that is exactly what I will do.LAUGH OUT HARDER THAN EVER BEFORE.

bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wicky 2 nd Dan:
WHAT?????

This isnt a wise careermove for the kid,and it isnt gonna be Chans brightest moment either.
Id bet Pat Morita is turning in his grave now,and I would really have loved for Ralph to say something on behalf of them both.
No matter how good actors the two of them might possibly be,Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio is always gonna be Daniel LaRusso and Kesuke Miyagi to me,not these other two clowns.

Agreed,and to top it off Harald Zwart is the Director [Eek!] those damn norwegians [Wink]
Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bandit:
quote:
Originally posted by Wicky 2 nd Dan:
WHAT?????

Agreed,and to top it off Harald Zwart is the Director [Eek!] those damn norwegians [Wink]
Uhm,Im norwegian man,and not all of us are idiots here.But this guy Ive heard of,and youre right,idiot.Cant even come up with an original concept...I could have given him at least three suggestions to a storyline to build on the past great three,but not for a remake of any kind.
I see a sad future for Hollywood if this keeps up...

Bori
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7659

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bori   Email Bori   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Does whatever a SpiderNOMS does...:
Get ready for this one.

The new Mr Miyagi will be played by...

JACKIE CHAN!!!!!!

/face palm

Sweep the noms [Cool]

Jackie Chan ! You mean they coudn't find Chuck Norris. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 14 | From: Elizabeth, NJ | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0653978/
Ralph Macchio sounds off about the new re-make. I agree- the original Mr. Myagi can never be replaced! This is just another greedy attempt by Hollywood producers and Will Smith to make a quick buck and get his kid in the door for more roles. They make me sick.

Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bori
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7659

Rate Member
Good for Ralph. He finally speaks out on this.
Oh, he's right, how are they going to get the romance part of the movie with (will smiths son) being so young?

BTW,the kid will forever be known as "will smiths son".

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I hope they don't add a romance to their "new" version. Yuck. I loved the interactions and camaderie between Myagi and Daniel, and I don't think that can be replicated.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinick
Rewinder
Member # 6245

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburghgirl:
Yeah I hope they don't add a romance to their "new" version. Yuck. I loved the interactions and camaderie between Myagi and Daniel, and I don't think that can be replicated.

Wait, we're referring to the romance between Daniel and Ali, not Daniel and Miyagi, right? [Big Grin]
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

Oh yeah, sorry. I am not insinuating a romance between Myagi and Daniel, ha,ha. [Eek!] I just meant that the Smith kid is too young for a romance. And I don't wanna see Jackie Chan take Pat Morita's place, RIP.
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will Smith spoke a little about the remake on British Radio recently. He confirmed that Jackie Chan will play the role of Mr Miyagi but also stated that the movie would be set in China and the kid would be taught Kung Fu and not Karate. He even asked the DJ whether the name of the movie should be changed from the Karate Kid to something else.

I would certainly back a name change and let this movie stand or fall as an homage to the original instead of a remake.

Wax Noms, Wax Off [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinick
Rewinder
Member # 6245

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by He came and he saw that it was NOMS:
I would certainly back a name change and let this movie stand or fall as an homage to the original instead of a remake.

Wax Noms, Wax Off [Cool]

Word! [Karate Kid]
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
It is great to hear that the wiews of us here is shared by Ralph Macchio.
Im sure you would have heard similar from Pat Morita,rip,if he had been able to comment this.But I guess Ralph is more than capable of speaking for them both.
I just hope with all my heart that Hollywood is gonna listen to him in the matter of leaving certain movies alone,rather than remake them.
And hes right,Jackie Chan will get a tough job at filling Pat Moritas role as Mr Miyagi.Even he wonderd about the romantic scenes.
I guess we just have to wait and see where that happens.
To Smith and co,grow an imagination of your own,and stop clowning about with true masterpieces,you dont have what it takes to measure up to it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home