iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « Karate Kid » New Karate Kid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Karate Kid
Steve
Master Rewinder
Member # 1933

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Steve   Author's Homepage   Email Steve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Info here

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/11112008/5/smith-s-son-new-karate-kid-0.html

Posts: 161 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinick
Rewinder
Member # 6245

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kinick   Author's Homepage   Email Kinick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm sure we've all heard the rumours, looks like it's official now.

Here are my thoughts on it that I posted on another forum:

The Karate Kid is my all-time favourite movie in the hisotry of movies...it's sacred to me. A remake will only further implement the fact of just what a gem of a movie this really is. It's a moment in time, it can never be captured again. The Karate Kid has been mis-regarded as a movie directed predominently at kids over the years - quite naive indeed! A remake will only serve as proof of the absolute purity and meaningfulness to be found in the original. It will lose all of the magic, charm and probably all of the things that make it stand the test of time; I'm sure the producers and those involved probably aren't aware of thses "important" aspects of the story... we already know it wont be a direct remake, and if I had to guess I'd bet it'd be more akin to an updated version of The 3 Ninjas or something, haha. So that's my thoughts - casting a 10 year old Jaden Smith in the lead already renders it a movie directed at preteens.

So I say: Bring on the laughs!

Posts: 40 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw a thread on the "E" channel last night about Will Smith's son Jaden being cast in this movie. He and his wife make me sick, they are so in love with themselves, and now they have to push their kids into the business. They are going to ruin the whole premise of the Karate Kid. It makes me sick!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not going to be a patch on the originals.

Pass

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will probably watch it....and even more probably, bitch about it all the way through. Why remake it....it's excellent as it is!!!!
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmafighterx
Rewind Curious
Member # 7535

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for mmafighterx   Email mmafighterx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch this movie at least once a month. Totally Love it. You can not re-make a classic. The new karate kid will be an absolute farce. I refuse to even contribute a dollar to watch this abomination. RIP pat! The only Mr. Miyagi there could ever be.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Wicky 2 nd Dan   Email Wicky 2 nd Dan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kinick:
Yeah, I'm sure we've all heard the rumours, looks like it's official now.

Here are my thoughts on it that I posted on another forum:

The Karate Kid is my all-time favourite movie in the hisotry of movies...it's sacred to me. A remake will only further implement the fact of just what a gem of a movie this really is. It's a moment in time, it can never be captured again. The Karate Kid has been mis-regarded as a movie directed predominently at kids over the years - quite naive indeed! A remake will only serve as proof of the absolute purity and meaningfulness to be found in the original. It will lose all of the magic, charm and probably all of the things that make it stand the test of time; I'm sure the producers and those involved probably aren't aware of thses "important" aspects of the story... we already know it wont be a direct remake, and if I had to guess I'd bet it'd be more akin to an updated version of The 3 Ninjas or something, haha. So that's my thoughts - casting a 10 year old Jaden Smith in the lead already renders it a movie directed at preteens.

So I say: Bring on the laughs!

I absolutely love this film too.But I see it as a trillogy tough as Daniel is not in the last film made.There is only a short mentioning of him by Mr Myagi to Julie,so to me those three films are what is Karate kid to me.
But another film...as much as I love it...there can never be another Pat Morita anymore then there can be a new Ralph Maccio.So in my opinion,dont make a new film.Let Karate Kid stand as the monument it truly is over what Karate and all martial arts are really about,not fighting to defend your honor on the mat,but for defense and defense only.

Posts: 38 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Wicky 2 nd Dan   Email Wicky 2 nd Dan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earth Angel:
I will probably watch it....and even more probably, bitch about it all the way through. Why remake it....it's excellent as it is!!!!

I dont know wheter its worth watching.To me there can only be one true Mr Miyagi and only one Daniel LaRusso.
Their work in these movies is beyond excellent in my eyes.A new Karate kid movie should in my eyes show what happend after KK 3.
What I mean is,Mr Miyagi is already a very old man in KK1 2 and 3,why not tell the tale to the end instead.
I have questions after KK3,like what does Daniel do after defending his title?Does he continue to study,find his own karate,does he teach that on?Stuff like that,I dont need to see a little 10 year old kid trying to fit into Ralph Macchios shoes as Daniel LaRusso,because no matter how you see it,in my eyes,the real Karate Kid,aka Daniel LaRusso,will always be Ralph Macchio.I just cant belive how stupid people are not to want to do something new instead.Its better Smiths kid would play the role as Daniels son and beeing tought by his father rather than another remake.But off course,the producers wont listen...

Posts: 38 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wicky 2 nd Dan
Rewinder
Member # 7643

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mmafighterx:
I watch this movie at least once a month. Totally Love it. You can not re-make a classic. The new karate kid will be an absolute farce. I refuse to even contribute a dollar to watch this abomination. RIP pat! The only Mr. Miyagi there could ever be.

I could not agree more.
I started training Karate because of Mr Miyagis teaching.I was lucky to find an absolutely fantastic Sensei to teach me this.My Sensei also watches these films and he takes the moral lessons into the dojo to be tought to his students.
In Pats funeral,when Ralph would honor him by saying forever my sensei in front of the mourners,he showed him the greatest honor there is.To me it was evident from these words that the friendship seen between the rolecharaters Daniel and Mr Miyagi was also strong in real life.
These two rolecharacters I think anyone that is seriously into martial arts of any kind can relate to in many ways,because many of the issues adressed is as real today as it was in the 80s.

Thank you Mr Miyagi and Daniel LaRusso for the teachings you gave to young and sometimes confused young people such as myself in the 80s.
I found balance because of it.
May you forever rest in peace Pat.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home