iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Crappy Cardboard Covers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crappy Cardboard Covers
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we've briefly mentioned this in previous posts, but, doesn't everyone hate when they release our treasured 80's movies in those crappy cardboard covers? [Frown] Paul was razzin me in another thread cause I passed on "Her Alibi" cause of the cardboard cover...so I figured I'd get everyone else's two cents! Are you a hater...or do you just not give a darn?

My current crappy cardboard covers (80') are:

Gremlins 2, Pump Up The Volume, Lovesick, Vision Quest, Body Heat, Next Of Kin, Action Jackson, The Changelling, and Wolfen...this is just not acceptable.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't stand cardboard cases. I've gotten rid of most of my cardboard treasures...I used to have ones for the "The Lost Boys," "Purple Rain," "Sixteen Candles," and "Risky Business." I like when DVD's come with a slipcase.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed! This has always bothered me as well. I just know there is an easy answer on this too. They obviously own the original artwork from the movie poster, so it escapes me why they would use some photoshop chop to throw something together unless one of two things may be going on:

1. They would have to pay the artist some kind of fee or royalty to use the original poster artwork on a DVD cover...or

2. They reserve the original poster artwork for special edition DVD's if sales reach a certain plateau on a title that warrants a steriods and all re-issue.

Agreed though, when it is on titles you just know are never going to see a special edition, just use the original poster artwork!

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Earl...I'd like to know the reason too. Cardboard covers are fairly limited (thank God), so I just don't understand the rationale. Crunching production costs, going "GREEN"....but they don't do it enough to justify these reasons.

And...good job Veronica...biting the bullit and replacing your cardboard covers when an alternative becomes available!

Paul...you...you...cardboard lover! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I haet is when you get a DVD in a normal plastic case and then they put an external sleeve over the top of it thats just a copy of the sleeve already in the case. What's the point in duplicating the sleeve. Seems like a wast to me.

Confused.noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other thread, it was mentioned that they tie the disc to the box, and are therefore like old album covers. I like that.

But as for not liking them because (and I quote) 'they ruin the line' when on the shelf? I'm smiling, but you can't see me.... [Wink]

Oh - Kev? Congrats on the 1000 post marker....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
1000 posts...for me?...ahhh shucks. Thanks Paul... I hadn't realized.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a lover. It was me that said they were like album covers; I kept wondering what it was about them that I liked when everyone seemd to hate them. Then I realised; the cover was the box - just like albums. There's something generic and plasticky about the other boxes that I don't like. Companies used to have their own video boxes, too. I like that. There's something about the content being artistically tied to the container that I find pleasing.

The reason there aren't that many of them around is that only two companies used them, the primary one being 'Warner Bros'. I call them 'Warner Boxes', and go out of my way to find them. They usually have the theatrical poster as the cover.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pork pie mcfly

Member # 6802

54 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for pork pie mcfly   Email pork pie mcfly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What i don't like about them is they wear very badly, as i am always watching dvds from my collection the ones i had in cardboard boxes are all worn and scratched up, thats why i got rid of all mine.
But i do agree with logun5 they do show the original theatrical posters...take me back.

Posts: 235 | From: Hill Valley | Registered: Apr 2008 | Site Updates: 54  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Yeah these cardboard cases were pretty bad,here's my last remaining 6 Films I have that have the cardboard cases,all from Warner Brother's,hopefully I'll have one less soon as I've just put Collateral Damage up for sale on eBay as I managed to pick up a cheap new Blu Ray copy of it.

As much as I hated these things i still feel that they Gave more protection than the dreaded eco case you sometimes find on some of the new Blu Ray/Dvd (notably Warner Brother's) releases!

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Sadly, Paul pegged me a few posts back. With my collector brain, my main hate for these covers is that they ruin the "flow" of my movies on display...stick out like a sore thumb! Doesn't that bother everybody?! [Eek!]

Thus, if I had mostly all cardboard covers, and just a few plastic cases...I'd hate the plastic cases!

The exact same reason I typically resist jumping on board when a new format is introduced..ie Blu-ray. So...I spend all this time and money collecting over 500 80's movies on DVD...and now you're gonna make the sleeves smaller.....AND BLUE!!! [Mad] So, I resisted at first (like I always do), but now chase these treasures down on Blu-ray. I'm trying to ignore the fact that at some point down the road, I'll have all my movies on a little stick!!! With no pictures!!! *My therapy bills are killer....

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here´s my cardboard cover dvd´s. Needless to say that i like the format, original cover art + when you close the case, the "click" sound is much sweeter [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atomik, I have a question for you. I am not being a smart *** either. I see your profile says you are in Finland. Do you watch your movies in English? Are you fluent in English? Just wondering, because it seems as though every other country outside of the U.S. knows a second language. I only know English. I took some Spanish in High School, but don't remember much.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here in Finland our "second language" is swedish but we start learning english much earlier, in the third grade when you are nine years old.
And i´ve always liked english better anyway like many here do.

I´ve watched movies since we were kids and when we had the stupid movie law, we were collecting uncut movies without any subtitles (if you count out greek or dutch [Wink] ) so that has helped a lot.
I´ve also listened english music all my life plus i started collecting english language comics when i was a kid.
So, i dont know if i´m fluent or not but i´ll manage [Smile] I also studied german (5 yrs) but like swedish, i didn´t enjoy it that much.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
also, here in Finland we watch movies in their original language which is very important.
Sometimes i´ll put on the finnish subs but thats´s not always possible.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is awesome, Atomik, that you know 4 languages! It is so awful here in the U.S. Kids take no pride in their language and writing skills. If I could go back in time, I'd continue with the Spanish lessons into college.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second PGH girl. aTomiK, you are more fluent in English than most of the kids in U.S. schools who use it as their only langauge. I have proficiency in five languages, though mostly only for reading these days. I never got the chance to live in a country long enough to be immeresed in the language. And like music and art, no one cares about languages in U.S. schools. It's a pity.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
Even coming from Canada, a country with two national languages (English/French), I know very little French...even my last name is French!! They start French class fairly early in school, but it just never stuck with me. *I too would pay more attention if I could go back.

On the flip side, though not typically reflected in my rambling posts, English (writing in particular) was always my strong point. My career typically required lots of documentation, and I was just always good at that. I've also written about 11 songs, which I really enjoy.

Great job aTomiK! I'd say this in several different languages...but I already told ya....I CAN'T!!!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Yeah! But can you speak the international language of love?
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the kind words guys! And Crash, five languages. That´s something else!

Terd, i´ve seen few educational tapes from various countries but let´s leave it at that [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home