iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 90's Movies » Last movie from the 90s you watched (Page 55)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56   
Author Topic: Last movie from the 90s you watched
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Extremely daft but entertaining thriller from 1997 Under Pressure Aka Bad Day On The Block has Charlie Sheen as ex hero fireman Lyle Wilder who completely looses the plot after his wife and son leave him and so decides to take all his anger out on the family next door of whom he blames for the break up of his marriage!

Unbeknownst to his neighbours who just think Lyle's (Sheen) a bit unhinged and with a few anger problems is just how psychotic he actually is but as the film progresses they soon get to find out and it sets up for a pretty tense though often daft showdown!

Great cast here with Mare Winningham,David Andrews who you'll probably not recognise by name but no doubt will do by face as he's been in countless things throughout the years and also John Ratzenberger (Cheers) turns up here in an extended cameo as an officer of the law and it's all very well directed under the capable hands of Craig R.Baxley who was behind some fun actioner's from the late 80s early 90s including Action Jackson,Dark Angel with Dolph Lundgren and the fun biker flick Stone Cold featuring Brian Bosworth.

Good fun and with a rather decent performance from Charlie Sheen I picked this one up new for just under 3 UK pounds and consider it money well spent and do recommend checking it out!

https://youtu.be/3LLHRj2_dWc - Bad Day On The Block aka Under Pressure trailer (1997).

Posts: 3274 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beach Babes 2: Cave Girl Island (1995)

A horrible T&A film (did i just say that?) and a sequel to Beach Babes from Beyond which i haven´t seen.
The babes look fine but the story is non existent so we get to see endless slow motion dance scenes! Avoid!

Automatic (1995)

This was a pretty good low-budget actioner which steals ideas from Robocop, The Terminator and Die Hard.
Olivier Gruner is cool as the android J269 and Daphne Ashbrook plays the female lead.
John Glover, Jeff Kober and Dennis lipscomb also star.

Posts: 6984 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re-watched two Brian De Palma films:

-

Mission Impossible (1996)

While not as good as i remembered, this is still a solid, well made thriller based on the classic 60s tv-series.
I´ve only seen the late 80s reboot series which was pretty entertaining stuff.
Never seen any sequels for the film.

-

Snake Eyes (1998)

Snake Eyes is a cool thriller starring hyperactive Nicolas Cage, Gary Sinise, John Heard (RIP) and Carla Gugino.

The story isn´t that special but i love the camera work and the settings in this one.

7/10 for both films.

Posts: 6984 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked DePalma's Mission: Impossible and didn't mind his Snake Eyes. DePalma has some interesting things to say in the documentary DePalma about desperately lobbying to direct a franchise blockbuster and how he had deal with two top dueling screenwriters, David Koepp, his guy, and Robert Towne, hired by the studio. Snake Eyes is a stylish thriller with a good cast--Cage is way over the top--that I thought was only let down by a stupid deus ex machina ending.
Posts: 2031 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vampires - I'm one of those few that puts this in my top 5 Carpenter films. I remember watching it back at the time and having already seen a million and one vampire films it was the little things that I hadn't seen before that I really appreciated. Like the manner in which the slaying was done in that opening scene and the fact that the vamps didn't even need a place to go in the day, just slept directly under the ground.

I love how it starts off quite jovial with the fun bouncy music and then progresses to more of a solemn tone in the middle where aside from anything else it becomes a really great road film. And then has a great action packed finale. There's James Woods who looks like he's having a ball, Laura Palmer, terrible jokes, the only Baldwin I have a soft spot for, priests killing priests and TERRY SILVER as the first ever vampire beheading and slicing people in half with his bare hands. What's not to love?! [Razz]

Posts: 3803 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like Vampires too, top 10 Carpenter for me. [Smile] While I enjoyed The Ward enough, I think that Vampires is Carpenter's last really good, stylish, original film.

[ 30. July 2017, 13:02: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2031 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I´m with U2 and need to rewatch Vampires ASAP. Thanks for the reminder Helen!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]
Posts: 3803 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vampires is great and I also don't dislike The Ward either,I just wish he was bit more active than what he is as even a below average Carpenter flick is a hundred times better than some of what passes for entertainment nowadays!
Posts: 3274 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
90s films I've watched or re-watched within the last six months:

U Turn (1997)
Billy Bathgate (1991)
Tommy Boy (1995)
The Trigger Effect (1996)
Blown Away (1994)
Navy Seals (1990)
Honeymoon in Vegas (1992)
Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
Kalifornia (1993)
Basic Instinct (1992)
Liar Liar (1997)
Blue Chips (1994)
Snake Eyes (1998)
Mercury Rising (1998)
Body of Evidence (1993)
Billy Madison (1995)
Fathers' Day (1997)
Shattered (1991)
Disclosure (1994)
Back to the Future Part III (1990)
Unlawful Entry (1992)
Freejack (1992)
Money Train (1995)
Body Snatchers (1993)

Posts: 3586 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched Mission to Mars (2000)

"When the first manned mission to Mars meets with a catastrophic and mysterious disaster after reporting an unidentified structure,
a rescue mission is launched to investigate the tragedy and bring back any survivors." (IMDb)

Not as bad as the critics say imo but not great either.
A surprising film from De Palma but i believe this was originally Gore Verbinski project.
Maybe a little bit too melodramatic but overall a solid sci-fi feature. Van Halen in a spaceship? Why not [Smile] 6/10

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
On the DePalma documentary, even DePalma himself said that he was in over his head by taking on this project And they ran out of money... It's not his worst film by any stretch and has some good special effects, but it has that "been there, done that" feeling of being a knock-off of 2001 or The Abyss. And what was it with Gary Sinise's mascara?
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Noticed the mascara, it´s a big mystery [Big Grin]
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Just weird. You'd think somebody at the studio watch the dailies and said, "What the heck's up with Sinise's eyelashes?" ROFL
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Decent late 90s low budget action thriller which is quite a family affair what with Charlie Sheen,Martin Sheen and Joe Estevez amongst the cast,not much of a plot here but what it does feature is some at times outrageous stunt work and action set pieces plus it sure does move at a hectic pace throughout!

As Direct To Video late 90s low budget action thrillers go this is pretty great with even the bit parts being mostly filled by accomplished actors & actresses with Courtney Gains (Children Of The Corn) playing one of the hoods and Meredith Salenger from the Journey Of Natty Gann playing Charlie Sheen's put upon wife!

Fast paced & fun action thriller with a cool cast that is certainly worth checking out! 7/10.

https://youtu.be/m3zccmjHrOU - No Code Of Conduct trailer (1998).

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Psycho IV: The Beginning - Yay, so glad this one lived up for me. This was always my fave of the sequels growing up and still one of my fave flashback films. Olivia Hussey is great as Mother and I love the tension between Norman and the talk show host. Anthony Perkins is back to brilliance again here after I was left feeling he was just lacking a little something in part 3. Love the ending.
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Yeah...If I had to rank them, I'd rank the sequels 2,4, and 3 in that order.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yep [Big Grin]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I'd go 2,3 and then 4,I thought his performance in 3 was generally very good but to some I suppose it might have seemed to be that he was slightly lacking in effort but then again he was directing the film (part 3) at the same time as being the main lead and maybe it might have been a case of him perhaps biting off a bit more than he could chew?

Plus part 3 was well known for a lot of studio interference and I can remember reading that a lot of the murders were spiced up at the insistence of Universal pictures which to me was no bad thing as I like a bit of splatter but I did read that it rubbed up Perkins the wrong way!

Overall for me I'd say none of the sequels do a complete disservice to Hitchcock's classic original as they all have there positives!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
It's surprising in some ways, but the only film that does a disservice to Hitch's brilliant classic is the Gus van Sant remake of Psycho, which I thought was a completely pointless waste of celluloid.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Never seen that one and don't really plan to either!
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I watched five minutes of Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates and that was about it. It was a worthless POS.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Vaughn as Norman Bates? Didn´t remember that he was in that role, total torture [Big Grin]
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I'd forgotten all about the remake as well that's how memorable it was!

Yeah I'd say it's definitely up there as one of if not the actual most pointless remake of all time!

[ 11. August 2017, 05:47: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I'm with you. It's the most pointless remake of all time. I remember when it came out, Van Sant was saying to his critics that Psycho was like Hamlet. There was nothing wrong with redoing it. But he missed the point. Hamlet has been performed over the centuries with varying interpretations, such as a woman in the lead when Diana Venora did Shakespeare in the Park or a modern-dress version like the film with Ethan Hawke. To do a shot-by-shot replication, bringing nothing new to the table, is so senseless--and no better than doing a paint-by-numbers version of the Mona Lisa.

[ 11. August 2017, 11:19: Message edited by: Crash ]

This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home