iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 70's Movies » Looking for Mr. Goodbar, starring Diane Keaton (1977)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for Mr. Goodbar, starring Diane Keaton (1977)
Nostalgic for the '80's
Master Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first saw the underrated '70's film "Looking for Mr. Goodbar several years ago, and felt it was an amazing film. Great time capsule of the era, and IMHO Diane Keaton's best work. Amazing 'disco/rock/pop soundtrack as well. '70's NYC may as well have been another character in the movie. The novel the film is based on is also worth checking out.

It's worth noting that the novel & movie are based on true events - which makes this story all the more disturbing.

Unfortunately, I've only seen this once on a sub-par print several years back; it's unavailability makes it tough to track down. I suspect that part/all of the reason this film hasn't made it to DVD/Blu-ray is because of the copyright(s) involving all of the music on the soundtrack. That seems to be the typical reason that many never-released older films are being held up from being available on current home video formats.

I would really like to see this released to DVD/Blu at some point in the near future. The Criterion Collection is the perfect label/venue, since IMHO LFMG is iconic enough to deserve inclusion here.

[ 19. April 2017, 20:09: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 343 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Legend
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane Keaton really gives it her all in an uninhibited performance. As I recall, at the time she almost immediately regretted doing the film, but she shouldn't have. (I think that the studio seemed embarrassed by it too.) I think that it probably is her best work in this well made, but disturbing, film. I see that a DVD or VHS copy fetches premium prices these days. It should get a specialty release on DVD/Bluray. It's a seminal time-capsule film from that era.

[ 19. April 2017, 07:16: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 1896 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Legend
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recorded Looking For Mr. Goodbar from a BBC broadcast sometime in the 1990s. It's been a while since i've seen it,
but i actually do still have the tape lying around here somewhere, along with Castaway (1986) and Shy People (1987),
both unavailable as well, unfortunately.

Posts: 1957 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Master Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad this film has at least some fans on here. It's unavailability on home video these days makes it tough to find.

To me, the film is really about the sexual revolution of the 1960's/1970's. The main character (Diane Keaton) didn't want to fall into the "traditional" role of getting married, settling down, and being a housewife - probably because that's what her parents wanted her to do. Her behavior was an act of rebellion to a large extent.

That all being said, it's obvious that LFMG is a cautionary tale of sorts about being careful whom you bring home...however, plenty of women (and men, obviously) from the '70's - today are sexually active in non-monogamous relationships, and don't end up killed by their random hook-ups; I don't think the film is trying to insult the intelligence of the viewer by making them think that this is really a serious threat. I actually believe that if you're living this lifestyle you're more at risk of getting a potentially deadly (or at least incurable) STD than you are of getting killed by your partner - if you're not careful, that is.

[ 19. April 2017, 19:49: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 343 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own Looking for Mr. Goodbar US vhs tape. Never seen the film but i´m looking for to see it [Wink]
Posts: 6766 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched the film the other day and it´s a great one. It´s a dark tale with awesome performances from the cast.
Looking for Mr. Goodbar is a long film but watching it certainly pays off.
Keaton should´ve won a trophy or two and there´s nothing to be ashamed of here. She´s a very sexy woman.

So this is how Tom Berenger began his acting career, something different definitely and he has said he had nightmares.

Yeah, this is yet another 70s jewel and it´s too bad that the film is so obscure. I´m glad that i found the US vhs tape.

-

Posts: 6766 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Master Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
Yes, but not all of us have VHS players anymore. I haven't had one since 1996 - mine broke & I never replaced this.

Cool picture of "In Pursuit of Honor" - never heard of this film, but it looks interesting.

Crash
Rewind Legend
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last VCR was manufactured by Funai in July 2016. ebay!
Posts: 1896 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home