iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » All the Right Moves (1983)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: All the Right Moves (1983)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just watched All the Right Moves (1983)

It was quite enjoyable, honest football drama.
Cruiser is good and it was nice to see the late Chris Penn again.
Lea Thompson was very cute and Graig T. Nelson was fine in the role of coach Nickerson.
I´m glad that i found the old vhs tape because
this is the full R rated version.

The soundtrack is great. Including some very good songs like the opening scene track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7cSZA-z6HU

-

[ 29. February 2012, 08:58: Message edited by: aTomiK ]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomik,

I've always liked this movie. I love the cover art on your copy...

- jdocster

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say the same thing jdoc, I like that cover art. Never saw that version before.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is interesting to see cover art from different countries. Sometimes is funny, other times it's cooler than the US version...

[Wink]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, i agree. The vhs cover art is awesome!
Cool colors [Cool]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering all the 80's movies I own and have seen...surprising that I've never seen "All The Right Moves" or "Risky Business". *Just bought Risky Business on Blue Ray, so I should be able to remedy that soon.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of the few Cruise films I don't have on DVD. Good working class drama with sterling performances all round. If Bruce Springsteen was a movie, he'd be 'All The Right Moves'.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it because it has a gritty, realistic sense to it. It is probably one of the most honest portrayals of life in the upper North East US. It truly has that feel. Not every football player dates a cheerleader as portrayed so often. Yes, they dated the girls in the band, etc. and a good deal of their angst was fidning a way to "get out" and not be trapped by the mines/factories that employ their parents.

I also liked this version of Tom Cruise (The Outsider, Risky Business, etc.) right before he became a brand. Don't get me wrong, I love just about everything he does...just seems like there has been a whole lot of shine and polish to him since Top Gun...anyways, yep, cool movie.

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good movie that feels a bit dark. I always enjoy this and yes, the opening song rocks!
Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked this one too although it's been ages since last viewed it, but with the weather getting colder and football season in full swing, might be time to dig up that old VHS. I think this and Reckless would be a killer smalltown angst double billing for a viewing.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esmagnus
Master Rewinder
Member # 8099

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for esmagnus   Author's Homepage   Email esmagnus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great soundtrack if you're interested. Very rare too!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/53887867/very-rare-all-the-right-moves-vinyl

Posts: 171 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomik - Do you follow american football at all over there in Finland? I actually played a game against a team in Finland when I was in college! I know football isn't huge in Europe but there are a lot of Semi Pro/Club teams over there. Just curious.

And also, great time to watch this movie. Friday night lights will be on all across America this week!

Posts: 714 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well-made film, the first directorial effort of ace cinematographer Michael Chapman, who shot many masterpieces such as "Raging Bull" and "Taxi Driver"... It was filmed in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, near my hometown, and I once worked with the two detectives (they were real Johnstown police detectives) who in the movie burst into class to arrest Paul Carafotes for robbery. Another detective I knew, who was not in the movie, used to sniff with some degree of jealousy that if you listened carefully, the one arresting detective, the one with the line of dialogue, is actually dubbed by someone else. He was right. It's obviously looped. (I suppose that it made him feel better to say that!)

One more thing, is anyone still as shocked as I am by the love scene between Tom Cruise and Lea Thompson(no body double for Lea)? That scene is really a product of the time. Studios today generally shoot for the almighty safe, money-making, PG-13 rating so the chances of seeing something like that today, even in a serious teen flick, are next to nil. It's a real slice-of life scene, in a slice-of-life film.

[ 03. September 2010, 08:49: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You're not God, Nickerson. You're just a typing teacher."

Perfecting time on rebooting this thread! I used to watch "All The Right Moves" quite often and it was definitely in my late night rotation for awhile. It did have that gritty feel to it.

I've mentioned it before, but they did a brilliant job of capturing the pregame bus ride experience. I only played basketball in high school, but the atmosphere of that bus ride was totally it. Each player had his own way of getting ready for what might just be the biggest game of his life. However, unlike the characters in the movie, I never felt trapped and it was my only way out.

It is fun to watch Tom Cruise before he became Maverick. Though this movie along with "The Wild Life" and "Footloose" reminds us of the sad loss of Chris Penn.

The movie is infamous for something you are suppose to be able to see in slo-mo.. I'll be honest.. the only slo-mo I'd ever use would be for Lea Thompson .. wait rewind!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I have guests in town who are movie buffs, I take them right down to that very street corner and re-enact that scene: "You're just a typing teacher!" Classic! Perhaps I should sell guided tours to movie locations that I know: "Slap Shot," "All the Right Moves," "Ladies and Gentlemen: The Fabulous Stains," "Dead Zone," the remake of "My Bloody Valentine," "Adventureland," Romero's dead films, just about everything else filmed in Pittsburgh, and "Tiger Warsaw," of course! [Cool]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
aTomik - Do you follow american football at all over there in Finland? I actually played a game against a team in Finland when I was in college! I know football isn't huge in Europe but there are a lot of Semi Pro/Club teams over there. Just curious.

The only american football games i watch are the Super Bowl games [Cool]
You´re right it isn´t a big sport here.

But we have a league and in fact tomorrow they will play our own "Super Bowl" game ,
It´s called Maple Bowl here. Crocodiles vs. Butchers:

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home