iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2017) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2017)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084695/

Surprisingly good early 80s slasher with massive Halloween (1978) influences. 7/10

Posts: 6952 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the original Slumber Party Massacre Atomik,that music score to it just gets in your head and stays there plus the cast for what was mostly a group of unknowns I thought were excellent!

Not seen part 2 before but 3 definitely drops off in quality in comparison to the original!

You lucky devil Helen if your going to Horror Con, some great guests there http://www.horrorfan.co.uk/guests ,why's it got to be all the way up in Birmingham it's not fair [Mad]

Posts: 3249 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I like about The Slumber Party Massacre is the unusual feminist slant by director Amy Holden Jones and acclaimed novelist Rita Mae Brown. And Roger Corman was always at the forefront of the industry in using female directors like Barbara Peeters, Kat Shea, Stephanie Rothman, and Holden Jones. The film certainly can't be considered misogynistic! And it's a cool, right-to-the-point little film.

[ 04. October 2017, 14:33: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2023 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you listen carefully, The Slumber Party Massacre score borrows heavily from Carpenter´s Halloween theme, not the most famous part but the slower one.
Posts: 6952 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the one I'm going to Warrior http://www.liverpoolhorrorcon.com/guests

Want to get my Twins of Evil signed by Damien Thomas, Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde by Martine Beswick and Maniac by Caroline Munro. I'm so excited, never thought we'd have this here!!

Posts: 3781 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing, yesterday when I went into town there was a Halloween shop, a Halloween shop!!!! I thought I'd stepped into America or something!
Posts: 3781 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

Honeymoon (2014) - Weird, quite gripping with a cheap feel that really worked for it. 6/10

-

The Return Of The Living Dead (1985) - Wanted something mindless after work so put this on and liked it so much more than in the past. 6/10

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'd give Return of the Living Dead a six too. I know that a lot of people really enjoy it--"More brains!"--but I've always found it to be just okay, a good idea played out as one-note.
Posts: 2023 | From: America's Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yeah. Part 3 is the one I love!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

Death Screams (1982) - This is fantastic. Well, it's not really but yes it is!! You have a super dramatic opening, endlessly bad acting, cheesy fairground scenes, spooky stories in a cemetery, a man in a shower scene, crazy music, great kills in an abandoned house and a ridiculous flashback. JUST LOVE!! 7/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The New Kids aka Striking Back (1985) a seriously entertaining revenge flick from 1985 directed by Sean S. Cunningham of Friday The 13th fame featuring a strong cast including James Spader,Eric Stoltz,Tom Atkins (small cameo),John Philbin and the beautiful Lori Loughlin.

Loved the fight to the death fair ground finale to this and you really want see Spader (who is terrific here) and his gang of thugs get there just desserts!

Always had a soft spot for this one from the first time of watching it back in the mid 80s as a young teen and I can distinctly remember my parents who were generally very lenient to what I watched having a real dislike of it at the time as they thought it was both very mean spirited and overly violent which in all truth i'd probably have to agree but still it's a blast to watch!

Great music score as well with a standout track by Bill Wray called 'Stand Up' - https://youtu.be/VY-C1czo0pY

So overall awesome stuff and this new Spanish all regions Blu Ray while extras free certainly looks and sounds superior to all previous versions and cost me just over 11 UK Pounds so was a great buy!

https://youtu.be/4oCn4VVKNLg - The New Kids aka Striking Back trailer (1985).

8/10

Happy Hell Night a low budget but fun 1992 shocker shot mostly in the then Yugoslavia that features much bad acting,gory kills (mostly via a small pick axe),lots of nudity,a real odd looking killer who also keeps cracking daft one liners after each kill and the most sped up motorcycle scene I think I have ever witnessed!

Like I was saying daft and not particularly well made but still a decent 80 odd minutes and nowhere near being amongst the worst of its type!

https://youtu.be/xrxlv6x5PCA - Happy Hell Night trailer (1992).

6.5/10

Posts: 3249 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

The White Buffalo (1977) - I love this dreamy, atmospheric horror western. With 3 awesome main guys, Charles Bronson, Jack Warden and Will Sampson. 8/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
This is the one I'm going to Warrior http://www.liverpoolhorrorcon.com/guests

Want to get my Twins of Evil signed by Damien Thomas, Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde by Martine Beswick and Maniac by Caroline Munro. I'm so excited, never thought we'd have this here!!

Loads of guests I would love to meet there especially Caroline Munro,i've decided I'm going to go to one of these Horror Cons one year even though there mostly miles away from me down here on the South East corner!

[ 05. October 2017, 14:55: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Final Destination (2009)

Another fun movie in the series. Yeah, they're all the same -- but so what. They're fun!

(I think it's contagious, Helen. [Razz] )

Posts: 1513 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Hahaha [Big Grin]
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

Just finished watching "Night of The Living Dead". I don't think I'd ever seen it all the way through before.  -

-

-

Posts: 1513 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

A bullied teenager is sent to a reform school where he accidentally summons the spirit of a girl, herself a victim of bullying, who takes vengeance on his tormentors - from IMDb

Above average 2015 DTV horror with mostly decent performances from what for me was a virtually unknown cast and some rather brutal looking scenes of self harm which will have most of the audience flinching!

Moves along at a good pace as well and at just over 80 minutes in length your at its blood soaked finale before you know it,infact it's the the last 15-20 minutes or so that raises this up a notch or two for me as it gets pretty intense!

https://youtu.be/7Stqfg3rGgg - Some Kind Of Hate trailer (2015).

7/10 Not bad at all!

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Piranha 3DD (2012)

Pretty weak but with lots of nudity which is never a bad thing [Big Grin] 4/10

-

Slumber Party Massacre II (1987)

This was a wicked ride. Very low-budget stuff but not bad. 6/10

-

Don´t look Now (1973)

Cool mystery/horror drama but needed a little more action during the middle part. 7/10 (sorry, Crash [Smile] )

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Sorry to hijack the thread for a second but I had to share about the horrorcon as I'm still so hyperactive 2 days on!!!

We got there and to the left was the long tables of guests, but there weren't any queues, just one getting an autograph here and there. The first one that I saw was Caroline Munro and I just freaked. I was like 'Oh noooo I can't just walk right upto her, (pushing my fella forward haha) you go' [Razz] So he walked up and I was just a few metres back like  - And she said 'Ooh, Maniac'. He told her it was for me and we waved at each other and in unison said 'Hiya, you alright'  - Pushed him forward for Martine Beswick who was really nice too and Damien Thomas. I have no idea why but I was a bit scared that Damien might've been a bit crotchety but he was just lovely. He was reading all the special features on the back of the dvd saying he hadn't seen that version before and waving away as we left  -

-

Had a super quick look around the stalls before the comedy horror film The Slayers started. Well, they tried [Razz] Then the makers had a Q + A afterwards.

Had a chance to look properly around the stalls then and came away with this cute bear and the picture doesn't do the Pinhead any justice. It's stunning.

-

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Then there was a really fun People Under The Stairs panel with Brandon Adams, Yan Birch and Sean Whalen. It was all so surreal. I watch these things posted by Americans on youtube all the time but sitting in one was so strange. After that I couldn't not get Brandon's too.

-

I wish I coulda got Yan Birch's too cos he came across so awesome but money. Then there was a good Elm street panel with Jsu Garcia, Toy Newkirk and Ken Sagoes.

G Tom Mac and Ari Lehman both had slots singing. And that was, um, interesting [Razz]

One last stalls look and I had to own this beauty

-

So yeah, my first of hopefully many horror cons was incredible!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Don´t look Now (1973)

Cool mystery/horror drama but needed a little more action during the middle part. 7/10 (sorry, Crash [Smile] )

Yay haha
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Dig the pics Helen and the Horror Con that you went to looks awesome,some great guests there I would love to meet!

Piranha 3DD I agree Atomik is pretty bad but still watchable to a certain degree what with the plentiful nudity plus "The Hoff" making a complete fool of himself!

-

During their nightly poker game a group of lowlifes are terrorized in their own convenience store by a masked killer. - from IMDb

Watched the 2009 horror Cornered which features a few familiar faces included Steve Guttenberg in a role a million miles away from the mischievous Mahoney of the Police Academy movies which we all know and love (well most of us anyway),this I thought was pretty good fun and though quite light on gore it had some good tension at times plus a fair bit of humour thrown into the mix!

German Blu (above) which I purchased a little while back is of a decent quality both sound and picture wise with just a trailer as its only extra but it was cheap at under £4 UK pounds and I do consider it a good buy!

7/10 Fun low budget slasher and it was good to see Steve Guttenberg back on the screen again in a role unlike anything (well to my knowledge) that he has done before!

https://youtu.be/wli8A3ljrQw - Cornered trailer (2009).

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yes, Cornered was fun!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 -

Demons (1985) - [Big Grin] 7/10

The Slayers (2015) - This is the one I saw at Horrorcon. Their hearts were in the right place and I loved the way the vampires popped but yeah it wasn't great. Also some of the repetitive jokes were blah too. 4/10

-

The Fly (1958) - I always forget after not seeing this for a while that Vincent Price isn't the star of the show here. 8/10

-

Demons II (1986) - Enjoyed as much as the first this time. 7/10

-

House Of Wax (1953) - I prefer the original, Mystery of the Wax Museum, but this is really enjoyable too. 7/10

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Ancient mummy of an Aztec priest is discovered. A student turns the priest's cloak into a dress. However, the cloak is cursed, so whoever wears the dress becomes a psycho-killer. The student and her professor must find it and destroy it - from IMDb.

Decent 1990 made for TV horror from Tobe Hooper who sadly passed away a short while back starring the beautiful Madchen Amick and featuring cameo's from the great Anthony Perkins,R.Lee Ermey and Dee Wallace-Stone.

Nothing overly amazing but with its wacky plot,the beauty of Amick and some rather cool cameo's it makes for a fun 88 minutes! 7/10.

UK Dvd from distributor Final Cut features a solid Full Frame image and very clear stereo sound but sadly nothing in the way of extras!

https://youtu.be/Ui6tqgxKNRY - I'm Dangerous Tonight trailer (1990).

[ 20. October 2017, 08:35: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home