iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » My Science Project

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Science Project
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Science Project..

-

"My Science Project" concerns a car nut high school student played by John Stockwell, who needs a science project to pass his science class, problem is, he doesn't have one. So that night he and this girl that has a 'major' crush on him sneak into an old military junkyard outside of town hoping to find something suitable to impress his teacher and what they find is something that totally should have gotten them an 'F' fer sure.

This cast is full of 80's actors that we enjoyed in other flicks.  So much fun to see John Stockwell that is famous for "holding on too tight" in "Top Gun", but you would've thought that after "Christine" that he'd totally stay away from any movies with a cool car.

Also, hilarious to see Raphael Sbarge and Danielle von Zerneck geek it up as well.  I've never been much of a Fisher Stevens fan, but he is quite solid in this movie.. though if he'd cut back on a few of the jokes it might have helped the film keep from being so hard to take serious.

The real surprise was the fact Dennis Hopper was in this film just one year prior to "Blue Velvet" and "Hoosiers".

"150 million alert Americans are a mighty force for peace"

I prefer to take my dates to the airplane graveyard or Hollyweird, but a junkyard military fallout shelter might be kinda cool too.  ha

Apparently, Michael never watched the movie "Heavy Metal" otherwise he would've feared the Loc-Nar he found.

-

While Michael's car is not quite my style .. going over 120 miles per hour and living to tell about it is what high school was all about... right?

And I totally want to add making out at night in the backseat of a car with shades on listening to "The Warrior" by Scandal to my date night.  Can someone takes notes on all these date ideas for me?

"Hey Ellie.. the name is Michael.. okay?"

-

Wait a sec.. the orb just blew up a perfectly awesome boombox, this movie did just turned serious!  And nothing like messing with the Space-Time-Continuum when you're in high school. 

I just realize why Dennis Hopper is in this film.. he can play the best crazy guy without trying too hard.  Well, the good news is there is no need to worry about the grade on the science project anymore.  The bad news is that the world might be ending very very soon.

Great Bruce Springsteen poster in Michael's room.  And is that a James Dean pic from the movie "Giant" in Ellie's room?

"My Science Project" kinda of turns into what I can only describe as an episode of "The Twilight Zone" mixed with what will eventually become the movie "Waxwork".  Wait.. make that the Saturday morning tv show "Land of the Lost" with that dinosaur.

Overall, a fun flick if you've never seen it.. but I'd recommend "The Monster Squad" instead to finish out my date night. [Smile]

[ 24. April 2011, 16:31: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had forgotten about this gem. Fisher Stevens is the man.
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cause when your cool the sun shines on you twenty four hours a day
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know when I first watched this movie a few years ago I remember not loving it?? Do I need to give it another chance then Valley? hmmmmm

Someone else told me it was really fun recently too?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
muff it is a good one, good laughs and good adventure. give it another shot.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this was amomgst one of my favorite sci-fi/adventure flicks as a kid. I would watch it alot. While it has lost some of the flair and captivation it once held for me as a kid, it's still a genuwine 80's adventure film. It's definitely a preferred taste, but one that I think still holds up for the true nostalgic of the genre.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
valley, i think your recent post on Pump Up The Volume and now this one, screams double feature to me...i am going to have to watch these two movies soon. i love My Science Project... John Stockwell was a cutie, and i love seeing him in movies. i rarely associate him with Top Gun, but when i think of him, it's this movie, Quarterback Princess, Christine.. and even Losin' It!!

i don't know this movie like the back of my hand, because i tend to forget about it. it's a decent adventure movie, like Pyro mentioned.

i actually love Fisher Stevens in this!

i liked Waxwork but enjoy this movie way better.

if my date pulled up in John's car, i'd love that! but not sure about the 120 mph ha!

and i love the tune My Science Project by the Tubes, played at the end of the movie..with all the stills.

http://youtu.be/B9lKtOyqL0s

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone!

The Rewind is obviously struggling at the moment for postings.. so let's do our best to get some discussion going and support each others threads as much as possible.

Muffs.. I'm just not sure I would recommend "My Science Project" if you've already seen it and it didn't resonate with you. As Pyro mentioned.. it is definitely a preferred taste.

But I must say.. that when Ronnie states she 'loves' something.. I'm usually right there with her on it. Of course, her next sentence was about how John Stockwell is such a 'cutie' .. so maybe not quite right there.

Oh and I almost mentioned the tune by The Tunes.. great stuff in the end credits with Fisher Stevens.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good movie.

Nice cast, Stockwell rocks, Stevens is very funny
and Hopper is good as Doc Bro... i mean crazy science teacher Bob Roberts [Smile]

And like i´ve mentioned many times here, The Tubes end credits song is one of the best ever.

My Science Project was called Time Busters here.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely b-grade stuff. Not bad, just not that great.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
it was the guy who played sherman's only good role. and for the time, the t-rex at the end was great and i laugh every time it picks fisher stevens up
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll definitely have to hunt this one down again for another watch sometime.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly couldn't finish watching this movie.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home