iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Last 20** movie you HAVE seen (Page 97)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 102 pages: 1  2  3  ...  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102   
Author Topic: Last 20** movie you HAVE seen
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

50/50 (2011)

The story of a 27 year old guy (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), his cheating girlfriend, his parents, his best friend (Seth Rogen),
and his therapist (Anna Kendrick), after he learns he has a life-threatening tumor in his spine.

Feelings of indifference, numbness, and alienation from the people most dear to you, will be familiar to those who have
ever been in hospital for whatever reason, and in my opinion this is very well-handled in 50/50. Eventually, things do become
quite emotional, but overall it's a well done combination of comedy and drama.

Director Jonathan Levine previously helmed the teen horror movie All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006), and returned to
the horror genre right after 50/50 with romantic teen zombie flick Warm Bodies (2013).

Posts: 2100 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alien: Covenant

"The crew of a colony ship, bound for a remote planet, discover an uncharted paradise with a threat beyond their imagination, and must attempt a harrowing escape."

Disappointing.  -

Posts: 1523 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

"From Bedrooms to Billions is a 2014 documentary film by British filmmakers Anthony and Nicola Caulfield that tells the story of the British video games industry from 1979 to the present day."

-

Posts: 1523 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Above, So Below - Something about this film just really gets under my skin. I thought watching it on my 32" TV it just wouldn't get to me as much as when I saw it at the cinema but not so. The second half creeped me out even more this time around. I like the restraint. A story like this they could just go nuts but it's the subtleties that gets my heart going that little bit faster. Plus I'm a bit of a claustrophobe so parts, especially when one guy was jammed in a tunnel of bones, were so uncomfortable. Although when one of the bones hit him in the face it kinda broke the tension haha. But the one real disappointment I've had with this film both times is the last couple of minutes. It just doesn't work for me which is such a shame.

Stonehearst Asylum - That place was so gorgeous. I would feign madness to get in there!

Get Out - I had a good time with this. It got lots right. That stunningly beautiful opening street shot, the long build up of suspense where I pulled plenty of WTF faces. I liked the story, most of the actors, the creepy, manic smiling. Parts of the film made me think of Society (1989). Minor gripes, they had some great understated and unnerving music which I would have liked a bit more of. Also would have liked more scenes Run, Rabbit, Run style. And I just felt it could of gone even further with the atmosphere and such. The ending was good but felt a little rushed. I think it's one I'll enjoy even more on a second viewing.

Wild Tales - I laughed my head off through this fantastic film of 6 twisted tales of revenge. Best wedding scenes in any film ever!

Transcendence - I started ironing halfway through.

Identity - This was so much better than I remembered and glad to have forgotten some of the twists. The feel of the film throughout is just everything!

Posts: 3814 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Best wedding scenes in any film ever!

You mean even better than the one from Dream Demon (1988) ?? : www.youtube.com/watch?v=_76gsf5lyJQ [Razz]
Posts: 2100 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, second best hahaha [Razz]
Posts: 3814 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baby Driver is not only Edgar Wright's best film, but also an instant classic. It makes use of music--something like 35 different tracks--in a way Quentin Tarantino can only dream of with some of the best editing that I have ever seen in any movie. Kudos all around for the great acting. (Jon Hamm plays scary very well; he should do more villain roles.) Not to mention, it's a worthy homage to Walter Hill's brilliant The Driver, down to including a clever cameo by Hill himself. This is the best movie of 2017 so far. Make sure you see it on the biggest screen possible and in a theatre with good sound.
Posts: 2092 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the family night with the wife and son. We Saw the latest Despicable Me. The reason I am sharing this is mainly cause the villain in the movie was from the 80s and every scene he was in had something related to the decade including the songs. It actually wasn't too bad of a kids movie especially after viewing Boss Baby(better than the Smurfs) and the Smurfs(stinker).
Posts: 1554 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Me And You And Everyone We Know (2005)

Quirky characters abound in offbeat, slightly romantic comedy about a recently divorced shoe salesman,
his two young sons whom he fails to connect with, and the woman who has a crush on him.

The woman is played by Miranda July, who also wrote and directed. The movie was a hit on the festival circuit,
won several prizes, and Miranda July was hailed as the new star of indie-films, yet it would take several years
before she directed another movie.

Charming little film.. definitely worth a look !

Here's the trailer : www.youtube.com/watch?v=t87QILBZd_I

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched the Dennis Villeneuve film Arrival (2016) the other day.

"When twelve mysterious spacecraft appear around the world, linguistics professor Louise Banks is tasked with interpreting the language of the apparent alien visitors." (IMDb)

Wonderful thinking man´s "true" sci-fi film.
Nice cast, cool effects and yeah, the finale made me cry a little.

Posts: 7193 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

2016 action drama based on the real life sinking of the USS Indianapolis in shark infested waters just before the end of the Second World War this features a decent enough cast what with Nicolas Cage,Tom Sizemore and Thomas Jane amongst its leads and I found it to be always watchable even at a slightly overlong 2 hours and 5 minutes but what seriously let's it down for me well aside from some at times rather hammy acting was the seriously bad CGI effects work and that i'd say from the battle scenes to the shark attacks nothing ever really convinces as it looks all too phony!

Actually this could have made for a really harrowing and powerful watch considering the grim true life events that it was based on but sadly that wasn't to be but still it's an OK watch and I'd rate it about a 6/10.

https://youtu.be/ZDPE-NronKk - USS Indianapolis trailer (2016).

[ 13. July 2017, 13:57: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3398 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

What a fantastic documentary this was covering everything Elm Street it makes its way through each of the films in the series with in depth interviews with cast,crew and director and features many clips of behind the scenes footage it is an abundance of knowledge for fans of the series and with a whopping 4 hour running time I feel that there's probably not a lot that they actually left out!

I think the only downer for me was that there were no Patricia Arquette or Johnny Depp interviews but other than that I think that they had more or less everyone here and in particular for me Clu Gulager (Elm Street 2) and the awesome John Saxon came across as great interviewees with Saxon saying that he took his 12 year old son along to watch the original Elm Street at the theatres and that his son was loving every minute of it!

I actually watched this on YouTube and enjoyed it that much I have since ordered the 2 Disc Us Blu Ray.

I'd say a must for fans of the series!

https://youtu.be/js_hu0iPyM8 - Never Sleep Again -The Elm Street Legacy trailer (2010).

Posts: 3398 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
My favourite documentary ever!!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I want to check out this one next Helen - https://youtu.be/K8yxAIfkqyI - Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History Of Friday The 13th.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deepwater Horizon (2016)

Pretty good disaster film based on true story with cool sfx, starring Mark Wahlberg, Kurt Russell and John Malkovich as a BP boss you love to hate [Smile]

Posts: 7193 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo Logan
Rewind Idol
Member # 9206

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Leo Logan   Email Leo Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Movies 2000 and beyond that I watched or re-watched within the last six months are:

Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000)
Envy (2004)
Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star (2011)
Fantastic Four (2015)
Thirteen Ghosts (2001)
The Counselor (2013)
The 6th Day (2000)
Boat Trip (2002)
Big Trouble (2002)
Jurassic World (2015)

Posts: 3748 | From: Willimantic, CT | Registered: Oct 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Rewatched Femme Fatale (2002)

Cool De Palma thriller with hot Rebecca Romijn as the leading lady.
Awesome camera movement once again, nice locations and quite clever story. And i didn´t even remember the twist [Cool] 7-8/10 (can´t decide)

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Watched 47 Metres Down at the late showing (11:45pm) on Saturday night and there was only one other couple in there other than my wife and I which was pretty cool!

A decent shark flick which is quite different in tone from The Shallows which was actually the last movie I saw at this very same theatre and out of the two this does probably contain less in the way of shark action if that's what your looking for but it's no less tense a movie and this for me definitely had the more jump out your seat moments probably helped by the dark murky conditions that it was shot in.

Very tense finale here which I'm not going to go to much into but just to say it was slightly spoilt for me a bit by a twist ending which I'm in two minds whether I liked or not and to make matters worse just about 15-20 minutes from the very end of the movie the screen went totally blank and we were sat there in the auditorium in total darkness and were then told that the projector had overheated so we had to wait there paitently for about 15-20 minutes before they could get it up and going again which killed the mood a bit!

Good movie though and maybe one I reckon that will probably play out better on the big screen especialy with those loud jump scare moments which at times really had me jumping out my seat!

7.5/10

https://youtu.be/VZS4bT2d2Cw - 47 Metres Down trailer (2017).

[ 08. August 2017, 00:12: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Black Dahlia (2006)

"Two policemen see their personal and professional lives fall apart in the wake of the "Black Dahlia" murder investigation." (IMDb)

This was a surprisingly good (read so many bad reviews) Brian De Palma film based on the James Ellroy book about the famous Black Dahlia murder case which happened back in 1947.
Love the locations and settings plus Vilmos Zsigmond´s cinematography rocks once again.

The plot gets a bit confused during the middle part and Josh Harnett isn´t among world´s most charismatic actors but those things didn´t bother me too much.
Hilary Swank and Mia Kirshner were fantastic! 8/10

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not as terrible as people say that it is, but I do find a lot of the film problematic. Vilmos Zsigmond was one of the greatest cinematographers who ever lived, that's for sure, and even though a lot of the film was shot in Bulgaria, the production design and camerawork are great. And DePalma has his usual wonderful visual flourishes throughout.

That said, I think that the Ellroy book is so dense as to be unfilmable. And for me, the screenplay here proves that. It's all over the place. Now DePalma's style is often heavily operatic, and when he tones down the acting, it often works wonderfully, for example The Untouchables and Scarface. But when he lets the actors overact or go way over the top, as he did in The Bonfire of the Vanities, it's just a recipe for disaster. Here Aaron Eckhart and Fiona Shaw are the worst violators. There is so much scenery chewing that Josh Hartnett, whom I actually like as an actor, is ground up in all the theatrics. He looks lost at sea here. Mia Kirschner, however, gives a seriously excellent performance. Hilary Swank, who is miscast as a femme fatale (She is great playing tomboys or "rough around the edges" gals), gives an entertaining performance because I think that she alone realized that the screenplay was bad and decided to have fun dressing up and playing sexy.

Overall, it's hardly the disaster that the reviews suggest that it is, and it isn't DePalma's worst film by a long shot. It's just so disappointing. It could've been a masterpiece, but alas, it's not.

Posts: 2092 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
The Haunting Of Bates Hotel aka The Bates Haunting - This has nothing to do with the Psycho films. It's a comedy slasher set at a real Halloween attraction, The Batels Motel and Haunted Hayride. It's pretty crappy and much of the acting leaves a lot to be desired. But at just 75 mins long I was never bored. It looked great with some nice kills. Probably one I'll dig out most Octobers just because.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Passion (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1829012/

"The rivalry between the manipulative boss of an advertising agency and her talented protégée escalates from stealing credit to public humiliation to murder." (IMDb)

Pretty good Brian De Palma thriller this one. It is the English-language remake of Alain Corneau's 2010 film Crime d'amour with strong De Palma touch.
I liked both Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace and there´s some wicked twists and turns here. 7/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Hangman (2015) - When home invasion films are done well there isn't anything really that gets under my skin more. But this was just horrid. Right from the off it got on my nerves with the crappy acting and the blase attitude of the family when they returned from holiday to find their home had been broken into. This fruitloop is living in their house, watching everything in the attic on camera, walking around filming right where they could walk out and catch him and there is zero tension. You know that nothing is gonna happen till the end and then when that part comes it doesn't even make sense to what he was trying to set up right before. Most unbelievable moment, the guy comes down for a glass of water in the night in the dark while being filmed by the intruder with a big beaming white light on him and he doesn't even notice. Annoying cos this could of been really creepy.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

"WWII American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people,
and becomes the first man in American history to receive the Medal of Honor without firing a shot." (IMDb)

This was a great war drama directed by Mel Gibson.
Cool american/australian cast, amazing screenplay based on a true story and breathtaking battle scenes during the last hour or so.
Highly recommended!

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yeah a good one that!
  This topic comprises 102 pages: 1  2  3  ...  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home