iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Last 20** movie you HAVE seen (Page 100)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 103 pages: 1  2  3  ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103   
Author Topic: Last 20** movie you HAVE seen
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

"The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka
between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend." (IMDb)

Watched this fantastic Wes Anderson film. Ralph Fiennes gives an amazing performance and what unbelievable cast this movie has.
Lots of details and clever dialogue here so this is not for those who think that Transformers films have hard to follow plots.
Highly recommended!

Posts: 7288 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Grand Budapest Hotel is Wes Anderson's best film. It's excellent--so entertaining--with Ralph Fiennes giving the performance of his career. I have to admit that when Anderson first hit the scene, I was not a fan. I thought that Rushmore was overrated. And the less said about The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, among others, the better. But with The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moonrise Kingdom, and this one, I'm a convert. He's a terrific filmmaker with this almost kabuki-like style of perfectly framed shots, great music, weird character turns, and droll dialogue. I can't wait for his next one, Isle of Dogs. It's animated too!
Posts: 2105 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to check out more Wes Anderson stuff, especially The Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom.
Posts: 7288 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Oh man, this was a mess. Too many characters doing nothing and the story just sucks.
Sophie Turner (Sansa from GoT) can´t play Jean Grey so the next film Dark Phoenix is already ruined [Frown]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -

Watched these two Jack Black films Nacho Libre (2006) & Be Kind Rewind (2008)

Nacho was a pretty fun geek comedy and i liked the cast.
Be Kind on the other hand sucks big time. I don´t think i´ve ever seen movie this naive and you can´t find a single decent character here. Amazingly bad film.

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 Years a Slave (2013)

Oscar winning movie, very well acted, and i can see the importance of this kind of stuff.. but for most of the time,
i couldn't help feeling like i was watching a more polished, slickly produced remake of Drum (1976).

And besides, when it comes to the subject of slavery, there really is only one movie that matters : Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971).
Now THAT is a movie you will never ever forget, no matter how hard you try !

Posts: 2121 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Goodbye Uncle Tom in this eye-boggling Jacopetti/Prosperi Mondo Cane box set. That's not a set for the faint of heart, I'll tell you. [Smile]
Posts: 2105 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Solid reboot with some new things that work and some that doesn´t.
The cast did good but for example, i didn´t like the new "Iron Man style" costume at all.
Nice Ferris homage here but why did they have to underline it [Confused]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I have Goodbye Uncle Tom in this eye-boggling Jacopetti/Prosperi Mondo Cane box set.

That box-set is one of the most impressive, most important cult releases in the history of the dvd format. Cherish it !

By the way, my own copy of that box-set is #0674. [Cool] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2121 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)

Big-budget Hollywood popcorn movie starring Nicolas Cage and Alfred Molina (both playing it dead straight) as rivalling sorcerers,
Jay Baruchel (the male groupie Vic from Almost Famous) as the titular character, and Teresa Palmer (Take Me Home Tonight) as his
love interest. Riding the wave of the succes of teen-oriented fantasy films, i actually found The Sorcerer's Apprentice to be engaging
and highly entertaining. Of course there's lots of CGI spectacle here, but the cast (also including European superstar Monica Bellucci)
is good, especially a very likable Baruchel and Palmer.

Kick-A$$ 2 (2013)

So-so sequel with most of the cast of the original returning for another round of wanna-be superhero mayhem. The scenes with Mindy
(Chloë Grace Moretz) trying to get away from her Hit Girl alter-ego and having difficulties adjusting to normal teenage life in high school
provide some depth... until the "sick stick" scene comes along that is ! [Big Grin] www.youtube.com/watch?v=rny3UdYPDn0
It's not a bad movie, with still plenty of laughs along the way.. but as so often the case with sequels, it lacks the charm of the original.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

The Million Dollar Hotel (2000)

"Tragi-comic, romantic whodunnit set in a run down hotel which plays host to mentally ill people too poor to afford medical insurance." (IMDb)

This was just pure pain. Even Mel Gibson who co-produced the film, said "I thought it was as boring as a dog's ***." [Big Grin]

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember The Million Dollar Hotel at all. Was it a straight to video release?
Posts: 2036 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
No. From Wiki: "The movie had an estimated budget of $8 million, but opened to only $29,483 in US box office, with little more success in subsequent weeks or in other countries".

IMDb also says that "Mel Gibson was so ashamed of the film, that he fought to prevent it from being released to theaters in the U.S.".

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Room (2015)

I liked this one. It´s a kidnapping film but not a typical one. The less you know before you watch it, the better.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My latest rental -

-

Enjoyable 2001 comedy from Can't Buy Me Love director Steve Rash featuring future husband and wife Charlie Sheen/Denise Richards (they married the following year but it wasn't to last) plus fun performances from John Lovitz and Rosanna Arquette this was much better than I had expected featuring some pretty decent laughs throughout!

Sheen plays a stockbroker who comes unstuck after being tipped of over a company takeover which doesn't then come to fruition after he's already told his vast clientele to invest heavily in it and so not only loses his job through it but also becomes public enemy number 1 with those around him!

-

(Above) Charlie Sheen & Denise Richards in 2001's Good Advice.

To make matters worse his current partner (Richards) who's an angony aunt for a little read column in a major newspaper leaves him and then jets of to Brazil with the new man in her life,stuck with out a job and no income coming in Sheen decides to take over the agony aunt column himself with him then decieving the owner of the paper and the general public into thinking it's still being written by his ex who he has claimed to be bedridden with illness at home!

Certainly not up to the directors 80s classic Can't Buy Me Love or maybe even not quite as funny (for me anyway) as his 1993 Pauly Shore outing Son-In-Law there's still some great laughs here especially from John Lovitz as Sheen's obnoxious plastic surgeon buddy and it's always great to see the talented & beautiful Rosanna Arquette up on screen! 7/10.

https://youtu.be/OrYPvvNwv0s - trailer for 2001 comedy Good Advice which is sandwiched in-between trailers for the thriller Tangled and Wishmaster 4.

[ 07. March 2018, 23:41: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3464 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Denise looks yummy (wow, can i even say that in this day and age [Roll Eyes] )

I watched:

-

Green Lantern (2011)

A decent superhero film but nothing more. It was a disaster at the box office so no sequel (but there will be reboot, Green Lantern Corps, set for release in 2020)

City of Fear (2000)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193065/

Awful Gary Daniels vehicle shot in Bulgaria. Avoid, stay away etc. etc.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I think that you can say "Denise is a pleasant looking young woman." ROFL
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
^ [Big Grin]

More Gibson films:

-  -  -

The Patriot (2000), What Women Want (2000) and We Were Soldiers (2002)

All good stuff, not great but good. What surprised me most was the romantic comedy What Women Want. Mel can be funny that´s for sure.

The Patriot threw historical facts into trash bin but was well made and entertaining while We Were Soldiers includes awesome action sequences but avoids criticism.

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Signs (2002)

A simple tale which includes a man who tries to recapture his faith after his wife died in a traffic accident and move on with his life .
Oh, then there´s these crop circles in the fields, aliens and other irrelevant stuff.

Mediocre film even Mel Gibson can´t save.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
I liked Signs until the last act, where it goes completely off the rails. Let's see, the aliens decide to attack a planet that mostly has a substance that will kill them. And then the one alien just stands there while Joaquin Phoenix whacks at him with a baseball bat. Smart enough to cross the galaxy, but not smart enough not to take a beating... [Smile]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

Rush (2013)

Fascinating story about the rivalry between racecar drivers Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl) and James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth),
concentrating on the '76 Formula One racing season when Lauda nearly lost his life in a crash at the Nürburgring, Germany.

The story also focusses on their totally opposite personalities. Casting is excellent as many of the actors bare a striking resemblance
to the persons they portray, especially German actor Daniel Brühl who is a dead ringer for Lauda during this time period.

Excellent stuff from director Ron Howard !

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -

Watched both The Punisher (2004) and Punisher: War Zone (2008)

The Punisher is solid origin story starring Thomas Jane as Frank Castle and John Travolta is the baddie.
The film however lacks the true Punisher spirit, it´s just too "neat".

War Zone is pretty bad to tell the truth. It´s very brutal but the script is pretty stupid and the director lacks talent.
Ray Stevenson looks just like the comic book Frank Castle but has no charisma.

We are still waiting for someone who can do this character justice.

Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. This was a really great independent type film starring Frances McDromand, Woody Harrellson and Sam Rockwell. Not a feel good movie, lots of cursing, and not a fairy tale ending. Just a good drama.
Posts: 2036 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Three Billboards is exceptionally well written and acting. I was pleased to see Sam Rockwell finally get the attention he deserves. He's been giving great performances for years.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -  -  -

The Singing Detective (2003) was ok film starring Robert Downey Jr. and featuring Mel Gibson in a supporting role.
Of course it can´t beat the classic 80s mini-series but has it´s moments.

The Passion of the Christ (2004) is brutal film directed by Mel Gibson covering the final twelve hours of Jesus' life.
Great but definitely R rated stuff. Caviezel is amazing and i hope they make the planned sequel.

Apocalypto (2006) is fantastic movie directed by Gibson set in 1511 when the Maya civilization is about to come to an end.
Beg, steal or borrow - you need to see this one [Cool]

This topic comprises 103 pages: 1  2  3  ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home