iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Music Video of the Week (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Music Video of the Week
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyro:
[QB] I never knew they made a video for 'Radio Star' prior to the official 1981 MTV launching video? That's very cool.

Sorry, didn't mean to misinform anyone here - as far as I can tell, this link takes you to the 1981 video of "Video Killed the Radio Star" - the song itself is from 1979, however.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

https://youtu.be/x7wm1oW4UtI - I Won't Bleed For You a great track from 1987 by Climie Fisher.

[ 19. March 2017, 11:19: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3291 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

https://youtu.be/dRnNpLOhn1Q - When Your Heart Is Weak by **** Robin from 1985.

[ 26. March 2017, 15:38: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3291 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I'm not a gospel music fan in general, unless it's Amy Grant. I could listen to her sing for hours.

AMY GRANT - LEAD ME ON (1988)

[ 26. March 2017, 21:04: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1737 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Not sure whether I've heard that one before Pyro but it's a great track!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

https://youtu.be/ph57IaYdEsY - Come Back by The Mighty Wah from 1984

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mighty Wah??? Now that's a group I can say with 100% certainty that I've never heard of before until now. And that's a real shame because I like this song/video you posted. I'm definitely gonna have to check out more of their stuff. Great pick young warrior.
Posts: 1737 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
This was there biggest hit Pyro - https://youtu.be/FO5-w3540H8 - The Story Of The Blues which reached number 3 in the chart over here in the UK and was released back in late 1982.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

E.G. Daily - Say It, Say It (1985)

I'm not a huge fan of this song (it's a bit too bubblegum pop for my taste.) But I do, however like this music video. It's a cool little homage to the 1962 Kubrick classic Lolita. And it's one of the reasons why I had a pretty big schoolboy crush on her as a kid.

[ 28. May 2017, 16:05: Message edited by: Pyro ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Fun video pyro and I've always really liked E.G Daily as well!

-

Used to listen to these a fair old bit back in the day well there 1987 LP One Way Home anyway which featured the hit song Satellite, here's one of there earlier tracks Day By Day from there 1985 album Nervous Night.

I'm not sure how popular on the other side of the pond they were but here in the UK there only hit single I remember was Satellite but I didn't dislike them I thought they were alright with some pretty catchy tracks!

https://youtu.be/3NqtwAv57_A - Day By Day from the Hooters (1985).

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Hooters were quite popular over here in the U.S. in mid 80's because of hit songs like "And We Danced" and "All You Zombies". I remember they even appeared, and maybe even won, at an MTV music award show in the mid 80's too. But yes, I remember hearing them quite a bit as a youngster during those times. And I eventually got into them myself in my teen years in the early 90's. They are a fantastic band. Very nice pick. [Cool]

[ 31. May 2017, 18:50: Message edited by: Pyro ]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´ve always liked The Hooters and remember that their fourth album Zig Zag was pretty big here.

And there´s of course this finnish connection because drummer David Uosikkinen's parents are both immigrants from Finland.

Posts: 7009 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not into 80s music.. at all !

The music i like is either too old or too obscure to have a music video that comes along with it..
so my first (and probably last) contribution to this thread is not from the 80s, but certainly worth seeing :

-

Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy : www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9UvrLyj3k

Enjoy ! [Big Grin]

[ 05. June 2017, 10:36: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2039 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure most 90's kids remember that Aphex Twin video. I know some people who said it gave them nightmares. It is an awesomely twisted video though so I've always dug it. He also has a music video for another song called "Windowlicker" that's almost just as bizarre.
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

This is another band I was a little too young to really get into during their biggest run in the 80's; but then got into them many years later in my early adult years. But I do remember liking this music video back in my younger years.

THE TUBES - SHE'S A BEAUTY (1983)

[ 18. October 2017, 14:16: Message edited by: Pyro ]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love The Tubes and was also too young to get them back in the day but now i´ve collected all their cd´s plus the awesome Fee Waybill solo album Read My Lips.

Amazing band really and of course the excellent She´s a Beauty is from their more commercial David Foster era.

Posts: 7009 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cool track guys I don't think I have ever watched that video before but I know for definite that I've heard that track!

-

Don't think this band had mega success but I did like one or two of there tracks back in the day -

https://youtu.be/2m3C1K5b5VI - Monsters And Angels by Voice Of The Beehive from 1991.

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Can't say I'm familiar with Voices of the Beehive at all. Reading up on them it seems they really didn't have a very long career. Just under a decade and only 3 albums. Listening to them right off I can definitely hear a strong similarity to other, more popular, 80's girl rock groups like The Bangles or The Go-Gos. So it's understandable how they were overshadowed. They're not too bad, but not quite the level of those other girl rock bands in my book. Nice share still though Warrior.

[ 11. June 2017, 15:02: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reminder of "Voice of the Beehive". I had completely forgotten about this group! I just listened to "Monsters and Angels" for the first time in 30+ years - great song. Very underrated band.

I like the "Monsters and Angels" video - especially the homage to the iconic Edward Hopper painting "Nighthawks":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m3C1K5b5VI

http://www.edwardhopper.net/nighthawks.jsp

Posts: 407 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Well spotted Nostalgic and a cool bit of info as I would have been none the wiser and I agree that there a pretty underatted band!

-

German band Munchener Freiheit had a big hit with the 1988 track Keeping The Dream Alive https://youtu.be/eH8T_r2uVvs but I also liked this track from the same year probably just as much -

https://youtu.be/TInay72kvM8 - Kissed You In The Rain by Munchener Freiheit from 1988.

[ 19. June 2017, 16:32: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Picking two tracks for this week both from Depeche Mode and both from there 1982 LP - A Broken Frame.

-

https://youtu.be/UYmWH58SrEY - See You by Depeche Mode from 1982

And

-

https://youtu.be/hrJVeowgjFY - The Meaning Of Love by Depeche Mode from 1982

Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
Peter Gabriel's "So" (1986) is a masterpiece - it's one of my top five albums, and may even be my favorite '80's rock/pop album. Here's my favorite track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs35CBGOxbc

I remember first hearing Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" on the radio in Summer '88 - excellent, somewhat dark, but still very inspiring song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIB10eQnA0

[ 05. July 2017, 19:41: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
"So" was such an awesome album Nostalgic I liked near enough every track on it though Hear That Voice Again was one in particular that I used to listen to a lot - https://youtu.be/etvnUsZayFk .
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
The 1986 Disney movie Flight of the Navigator is directly responsible for introducing me to this U.K. New Wave band as a kid through bits n' pieces of this music video appearing in the movie.

-

BLANCMANGE - LOSE YOUR LOVE (1985)

[ 07. July 2017, 13:47: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to misinform anyone here - as far as I can tell, this link takes you to the 1981 video of "Video Killed the Radio Star" - the song itself is from 1979, however.

The video linked is from a performance on a German TV show. The actual Buggles video (and the one MTV played) was, as you correctly said, from 1979.

quote:
I remember first hearing Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" on the radio in Summer '88 - excellent, somewhat dark, but still very inspiring song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIB10eQnA0

The guitar strum from Fast Car now reminds me too much of the verse-strum from 'Jack and Diane' and I can't ever un-hear it!

quote:
Can't say I'm familiar with Voices of the Beehive at all. Reading up on them it seems they really didn't have a very long career. Just under a decade and only 3 albums. Listening to them right off I can definitely hear a strong similarity to other, more popular, 80's girl rock groups like The Bangles or The Go-Gos. So it's understandable how they were overshadowed. They're not too bad, but not quite the level of those other girl rock bands in my book. Nice share still though Warrior.
They weren't really in competition with the other groups, by the time they had their first hit Go-Go's were long gone - Belinda was on the tail end of solo album... 2? Bangles were still going strong though ('Eternal Flame' had yet to be released). They broke over here with the song 'Don't Call Me Baby' (still remember watching this performance):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iiQm3XlTWg

Pop trivia: drummer is from Madness.

quote:
German band Munchener Freiheit had a big hit with the 1988 track Keeping The Dream Alive https://youtu.be/eH8T_r2uVvs

I remember vividly watching the video for this on the short lived weekend morning TV show 'On the Waterfront' back in 1988. I only now realise just how Beatles-ish the song is.
Posts: 3370 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home